Lock Down Books?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Lock Down Books?

Post by John Stone »

I’m sure lots of folks are reading some interesting books of late. So, how about a thread to share what you are enjoying. I’m thinking books about boats or ships but certainly open to anything you think worthy.

I’ll start with two books I just finished.

For Christmas Gayle bought me a copy of Vito Dumas’ epic Alone Through the Roaring Forties. I was familiar with this saga since I was a kid as it’s often referenced in sailing literature. I knew the gist of it but not the details. Wow. Now I know why it is considered a classic. The essence of the story is Dumas, an Argentine, sails his 32’ double ender Lehg II from Buenos Aries around the world west to East via the roaring 40. He does this during WW II in 1942-43. He makes three stops. He was the first to singlehand round Cape Horn. The legs were the longest singlehanded voyages ever made to that time. He did it without a bilge pump, a reefing main, or self steering wind-vane. His writing is honest and cheerful. He was harder than woodpecker lips. Nearly had to amputate his own arm. My copy was printed in 1960 and translated by Captain Raymond Johnes. The book can be hard to find.

The second book is Neptune’s Inferno by James Hornfischer and details the US Navy’s fight for survival during the Guadalcanal campaign. Well researched. NY Times best seller. Shocking account of a series of knock down drag out and vicious surface engagements between the inexperienced US Navy and veteran Imperial Japanese Navy. Point blank night engagements between destroyers, cruisers, and battleships. Filled with friction, chaos, bad decisions, heartbreak, heroism and incredible seamanship.

Hornfischer has also written a sequel about the 1944 fight at Samar called Last Stand of the Ten Can Sailors which is in a stack of books I’m working through.

So what are you reading and what do you recommend?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD-MDR

Re: Lock Down Books?

Post by JD-MDR »

Thanks John. I really appreciate the books you share. I picked up Sterling Hayden's Voyage a couple days ago. I'm about 1/4 thru It is easy to read and pretty good. They just pick up a castaway off an island down south .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
casampson

Post by casampson »

I'm reading The Big Sleep, a bit of noir by Raymond Chandler. It's the first book about private eye Philip Marlowe, and it's terrific.

As for music, I'm listening to Everybody Knows This is Nowhere by Neil Young & Crazy Horse. Can't get enough of that Cinnamon Girl.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

casampson wrote: As for music, I'm listening to Everybody Knows This is Nowhere by Neil Young & Crazy Horse. Can't get enough of that Cinnamon Girl.
Well, I’m a Rusty and have been since I was a kid. I remember when EKTINW came out. Ugghh. Great record. If you like it you might like Zuma or live at the Filmore East. Zuma has “Through My Sails” on it which was recorded by CSNY. Awesome song.
terrible23

Post by terrible23 »

For sheer escapist wackiness, I am re-reading several novels by Carl Hiaasen. Background music by the Count Basie band of the 60's and 70's, which is hard to beat for musical precision. Hope this is over before I run out of old John D. MacDonald books, which are next on the list.

Ken
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

As a native Floridian, I find Carl Hiaasen amazing! Haven't read one for awhile but sense I'm getting ready to go sailing with son now, it'll be a bit before I go looking for one of his novels.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

terrible23 wrote:For sheer escapist wackiness, I am re-reading several novels by Carl Hiaasen. Background music by the Count Basie band of the 60's and 70's, which is hard to beat for musical precision. Hope this is over before I run out of old John D. MacDonald books, which are next on the list.

Ken
JDM is the best. Way ahead of his time.
GeorgeH
s/v Spartina
Setauket Harbor, NY

Post by GeorgeH »

For lovers of history I would recommend "In the Eye of the Hurricane" by Nathan Philbrick. It's about the battles of Chesapeake and Yorktown during the revolutionary war. You'll come away with an appreciation for the power of the British Navy and how it was a critical component of England's ability to project power over its colonial holdings.

George
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

If you like historical fiction...Bernard Cornwells Sharpe series. About a dozen books based in the late 1700s to about 1820. The Napolean wars. Learned stuff I had never heard of.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Great idea for a thread. The Hornfisher books were great reads, I read them both recovering from surgery last year. Bernard Cornwall I really like. He has a number of series of books. Sharpe is only one of his series. He is the author that really seems to research the methods of warfare for the time period. Agincourt he describes the English longbowmen, the Viking series, the shield wall. Sharpe he describes the English musket training and the different style of the French and the English.
I read a book I bought about 30 years ago, and knew I would eventually get around to. Macphersons, Battle Cry of Freedom. And now I am reading Victor Davis Hanson’s A War Like No Other, about the Peloponnesian War. Sterling Hayden is next, Voyage. And The Practicing Stoic, and Marcus Aurelius book both help bring on sleep when the mind is racing. I can read those two in small doses.
I want to read Philbricks book. Washington’s Immortals was also very good.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

JD-MDR wrote:Thanks John. I really appreciate the books you share. I picked up Sterling Hayden's Voyage a couple days ago. I'm about 1/4 thru It is easy to read and pretty good. They just pick up a castaway off an island down south .
John
I’m glad you are enjoying Voyage. I sure did. One of my favorites. What a great book. Sterling Hayden is one of the most interesting people I have ever read about. Stubborn, unique, tortured, independent, complicated, and determined to live his life his own way. And what a great sailor and lover of the sea.

Did I share with you Tom Russels song about him? Fantastic.

Enjoy. https://youtu.be/8sMmJ2zSeVQ
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

John Stone wrote:
JD-MDR wrote:Thanks John. I really appreciate the books you share. I picked up Sterling Hayden's Voyage a couple days ago. I'm about 1/4 thru It is easy to read and pretty good. They just pick up a castaway off an island down south .
John
I’m glad you are enjoying Voyage. I sure did. One of my favorites. What a great book. Sterling Hayden is one of the most interesting people I have ever read about. Stubborn, unique, tortured, independent, complicated, and determined to live his life his own way. And what a great sailor and lover of the sea.

Did I share with you Tom Russels song about him? Fantastic.

Enjoy. https://youtu.be/8sMmJ2zSeVQ
Thanks. that was great. I have been stocking the boat with books and CD's. A girlfriend is giving me for my birthday next month, some device, a MP3 or something like that so I can get more stuff to listen to. I was trying to find a collection of the CBS Mystery theater. she said I can get it all and much more with that device.. I would take her too but she has a husband.
Last edited by JD-MDR on Apr 15th, '20, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

John,

You'll no doubt enjoy The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors. While it is not a seagoing tale, you probably already have The Last Stand of Fox Company in your library.

Neptune's Inferno was a great read. Often unrecognized is that the Navy lost about 3 to 1 compared to the Marines at Guadalcanal. Always give crap to our Navy friends, but I always respect them. The story of the Sullivan Brothers there is especially poignant.

I haven't seen them around lately but I always enjoyed the Richard Bolitho books by Alexander Kent.

And if you like space navies the Honor Harrington books pay homage to Horatio Hornblower, but are great on their own merits.

And for anyone who wants to read a great sailing story to kids, you can't do any better than The Lion's Paw. (From the 1940's but you can find it on Amazon) read it to my kids when they were little and we named our CD after it.
Last edited by Jerry Hammernik on Apr 16th, '20, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Keith

Post by Keith »

Hi John,

just listened to the song that you linked and then got engrossed in the interviews with Tom Snyder. It was a nice way to spend the last hour.

Thanks,

Keith

PS Time to go and build up a few more layers of glass and epoxy over the rudder shoe. I'm on the home stretch of that project and looking forward to launching on May 1st.
BernieA

Post by BernieA »

Some of my favorites are:
Sailing Alone Around the World, and Voyage of the Liberdade by Joshua Slocum. Given the people posting here, you've probably all read these, but they are always a good re-read.
Sea of Glory by Nathanial Philbrick. A fascinating read about the American Exploration Expedition.
Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana. Reminds me of how good my crew has it aboard the Pinafore.
The Sea Wolf by Jack London. Lesson on how to run a tight ship.
A Voyage for Madmen by Peter Nichols. Explains why I stay in the Salish Sea.
Mutiny on the Bounty, Men Against the Sea, Pitcairn's Island by Charles Nordoff and James Norman Hall. A lesson on what could happen to me if my crew (wife) becomes dissatisfied with my behavior as a captain.
Endourance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing. When the going gets tough, remember Shackleton.

Bernie Armstrong
CD28 S/V Pinafore
Sequim Bay WA