20 months under shrink wrap

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

jen1722terry

20 months under shrink wrap

Post by jen1722terry »

Hey Sailors,

I'm sure many of us are bummed about not being able to launch our boats this summer. In the scheme of things, not really all that important in the midst of a world epidemic.

Nonetheless, we seek wisdom. Our 31 is on the hard in Maine. Specifically we'd like to know if it is a good or not so good idea to just leave our boat under the shink wrap for 20 months (assuming we could launch in 2021). Specifically:

1. we close the hatches and ports under the wrap for the winter. Should these be opened for the warmer weather under the wrap? The wrap has six vents installed.

2. We usually leave the cushions on board for the winter. Should we remove them to dry storage for the more hummid summer?

3. We disconnect and top-up our Oddyssy AGM batteries. We assume we'll do another top-up in the spring if we can get access to the boat. Anthing else to do for the electrical system? Should we Fluid Film the alternator and all electrical connections?

4. We winterized the engine with polypro antifreeze and clean oil. Anything else to do for the long storage? Should we fog the cylindars and, if so, how?

5. Is the trans OK as is. The engine is new, less than 200 hours and we only did the initial trans fluid change after break-in. Would new fluid be a good idea now?

Any other ideas would be most appreciated.

And, most importantly, all of you stay healthy. If any of you should fall ill and need assistance with your boat, we're in northern New Hampshire, an hour from Portland and we'd gladly assist in any way we can.

Our very best wishes to all of you in these strange and worrisome times.

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: 20 months under shrink wrap

Post by tjr818 »

Do everything in your power to prevent mold. Ventilation, dehumidification, tea tree oil treatments, and I would bring home any cloth cushions, curtains, pillows, etc.
Good luck.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I did this during the year my parents were in their last year of life. It is very important to do the best shrink wrap job possible and increase the ventilation over what is prescribed, I recommend about ten or twelve vents placed high and low for a 30 footer. Also, look carefully for chafe spots and pad those. I found that paying attention to station tops, the BBQ grill fixture, where strapping passes over supports really helped. Good idea to visit the boat once or twice if possible too. Good luck.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I would install a screen in the companionway to let more air circulate and also treat all the woodwork inside with lemon or orange oil to reduce the mold problem. Also it wouldn't be a bad idea to turn the engine over this summer just to make sure there is oil everywhere inside it. If you can charge the batteries during the summer - or better yet, remove them. Battery drain increases with increased temperature and you surely do not want them to go flat out of charge. Cushions and foul weather gear etc should be taken off the boat since they will definitely get mildew - in cold weather the 4 or 5 month period is OK but all summer the humidity and increased tempo will certainly cause mildew and that musty odor that will never go away! Leave all lockers, drawers and cabinets open to let air circulate. I certainly hope that we will be able to launch this year but....... Stay safe and good luck during this crisis. This may be the year that my Typhoon gets a good going over, ding repair, re-paint and work on the teak.
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

I am wondering if I can maintain my safety and still launch my CD31 this season. Danusia sits on the hard in my driveway and it is a 1/4 mile down the road to the launch ramp where my usual transport fellow and his wife help me step the mast with their boom truck and slide her into Quahog Bay here in Harpswell. We've done this routine for years and with one on the deck and the other in the salon, stepping the mast and maintaining a good 6 ft social distance is very possible. Danusia then is off to her mooring where I am probably safer from contagion than in my own living room. I suppose I won't be entertaining any sailing guests (I single hand 99% of the time anyway) but I still think I can responsibly get her in the water and do some sailing this summer, if only day trips.
How is your situation different and am I missing something important?

David
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
Jim Cornwell

Post by Jim Cornwell »

We sailors think of ourselves as hardy, independent, self-sufficient. And, mostly, we are. But ask yourself: do you ever visit a dock for fuel or a pump out? Or a block of ice? Do you ever need a tow?
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I am pretty sure all of the issues of launching and sailing during a pandemic can be managed as well or better than living at home.

Anyone how has ever sanded a boat bottom has to have a couple of N95 masks kicking around. If you have done any epoxy work or re built a head then you have latex gloves. I always have hand sanitizer in all of my vehicles. There will be no visiting foreign ports nor gathering of your best buddies on board but there is no reason we can not safely enjoy our boats.

Part of getting through this is maintaining your mental health, Steve.
Brimag

Post by Brimag »

I agree with Steve 100% Using common sense will let us enjoy ourselves and be safe at the same time.
Hopefully we won't have to worry for Mutch longer . Brian
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

In at least NY and MD, the governors have declared marinas and boat launches to be "non-essential" businesses. I don't know how that affects my yacht club, but there are three member boats in their slips already as well as the local police boat that we host, and no one has said anything about delaying boating yet. I've heard that MD intends to be pretty strict about enforcement, not sure about NY where I am.
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

jen1722terry wrote:Hey Sailors,

I'm sure many of us are bummed about not being able to launch our boats this summer. In the scheme of things, not really all that important in the midst of a world epidemic.

Nonetheless, we seek wisdom. Our 31 is on the hard in Maine. Specifically we'd like to know if it is a good or not so good idea to just leave our boat under the shink wrap for 20 months (assuming we could launch in 2021). Specifically:

1. we close the hatches and ports under the wrap for the winter. Should these be opened for the warmer weather under the wrap? The wrap has six vents installed.

2. We usually leave the cushions on board for the winter. Should we remove them to dry storage for the more hummid summer?

3. We disconnect and top-up our Oddyssy AGM batteries. We assume we'll do another top-up in the spring if we can get access to the boat. Anthing else to do for the electrical system? Should we Fluid Film the alternator and all electrical connections?

4. We winterized the engine with polypro antifreeze and clean oil. Anything else to do for the long storage? Should we fog the cylindars and, if so, how?

5. Is the trans OK as is. The engine is new, less than 200 hours and we only did the initial trans fluid change after break-in. Would new fluid be a good idea now?

Any other ideas would be most appreciated.

And, most importantly, all of you stay healthy. If any of you should fall ill and need assistance with your boat, we're in northern New Hampshire, an hour from Portland and we'd gladly assist in any way we can.

Our very best wishes to all of you in these strange and worrisome times.

Jenn and Terry
Jen and Terry
I won’t offer any comments on the engine/tranny since I don’t have those...yet.

But I have kept a boat in a plastic wrapped boat shed for years and now the Far Reach is under a not very breathable boat cover.

I take everything off the boat. All linens, cushions, books, paper products, charts, electronic devices, lines, sails, tools...pretty much everything I can. I left dinnerware on this time and a jar of peanut butter which I snack on. The more you can empty the boat the better. The paper and linens and other textiles attract moisture and damaged by the mildew. Tools can rust. But another reason is with as much stuff off the boat as you can possibly manage the easier and more thorough you can clean the boat when you recommission her.

I open locker and lift bunk board to promote airflow. I also run two big box fans year round and recently added an Eva-Dry 2000 dehumidifier. I installed a hose barb in the dehumidifier and ran the hose into the galley sink. I don’t think you can do too much to protect the interior from mildew during long periods of storage whether under shrink wrap or not.

There are other measures you can take which have been covered in detail by other sailors and especially in Practical Sailor.
wsonntag
SURPRISE
Georgetown Maryland
Member Since 2005

Post by wsonntag »

I'm commenting here on the original info request about shrink wrap for 20+ months. My CD31 was on the hard for just under 2 years while I was on international assignment. When I sought guidance about storage I was told unequivocally, don't even think about outside storage especially shrink wrap. The boat you re-launch will not be the same one you put away due to steamed up moisture, temperature changes and weather in general. We stored our boat in a shed, (there is good capacity for this in Maine as I understand it) mast unstepped of course and we didn't do much more with the interior and equipment than when I snug her down for winter months. Well, we did take a few more things off but we left the cushions etc in winter mode on-end, drawers and hatches open etc. It was not a climate controlled building but it was bone dry and mostly clean. In hind sight I might have put a light dust cover on her and dried the bilge out better, something I did after a few months. Good luck whatever your choice.
wsonntag
SURPRISE
Georgetown Maryland
Member Since 2005

Post by wsonntag »

This is a reply to the points made about covid-19 restrictions in Maryland on marine industry, recreational boating. First, confirmation, recreational boating is currently prohibited in Maryland waters, however, maritime industries including boatyards and maintenance facilities are designated as essential, therefore they are operating at their discretion albeit using social distance, non-contact protocols. In the last couple days I have also been informed by a couple of operating yards the DNR is allowing movement of pleasure boats from maintenance facilities to home docks or home marinas (see detail at link). They may stop boats underway but if its operating under one of these exceptions, they'll take your boat name and the operator name down, if they see you again, you will be cited. Details from DNR below.

https://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2020/03/3 ... ome-order/
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Again, I shrink-wrap Femme every winter and one year left her outside for 20 months. With this ventilation and prep the boat was only dirty when the joyous day arrived to cut the shrink off.
  • - Winterized motor and systems as usual
    - Cleaned inside and out - particularly killing mold/mildew spots below
    - I left bounce fabric softener sheets in the cabins especially wherever you leave cushions, lines tea towels aboard
    - Created as much screened ventilation as possible. I left the companionway hatch screens in, opened the head port light and the fore hatch (Dinghy was stored over it)
    - I put in 12 stiletto (Dr. Shrink) vents around the shrink wrap with a couple of those up high.
    - I also tape on a door so I can get in and old to check on things and do projects.
    - I too Lemon Oil the interior teak, which would be great to do before lay up
This was over two northern Wisconsin winters and a summer. Lots of temperature changes as you can imagine but I think I got lucky with the general amount of snowfall as it was average. Not like this past winter.

Good luck,
Paul
CDSOA Member