Varnish Recommendations

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

casampson

Re: Varnish Recommendations

Post by casampson »

So I had a long talk with a tech from Jamestown Distributors this morning about the differences between Epifanes Clear Varnish (the traditional stuff), the Wood Finish product, and their Rapid Clear/Rapid Coat fast-drying varnish alternatives. I was all set to order the Wood Finish product when he told me that the absolute best results he got from varnish came from the Jamestown Distributors product called Gleam. He said it was the easiest to apply, required no sanding or thinning, and provided the most beautiful finish of all the varnishes they sold at Jamestown. I was impressed, so I ordered a couple of quarts. We shall see if I made the right decision.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

casampson wrote:So I had a long talk with a tech from Jamestown Distributors this morning about the differences between Epifanes Clear Varnish (the traditional stuff), the Wood Finish product, and their Rapid Clear/Rapid Coat fast-drying varnish alternatives. I was all set to order the Wood Finish product when he told me that the absolute best results he got from varnish came from the Jamestown Distributors product called Gleam. He said it was the easiest to apply, required no sanding or thinning, and provided the most beautiful finish of all the varnishes they sold at Jamestown. I was impressed, so I ordered a couple of quarts. We shall see if I made the right decision.
And I'm sure there was ab-slut-ly no bias in his opinion... :?: :?: :?:
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

Chris,

Is that your boat at Bullock Cove Marine?
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
casampson

Post by casampson »

No, Walter, my boat is in my front yard, much to the dismay of my new neighbors.

As for bias, I am sure the guy at Jamestown Distributors is partial to his own products. But he seemed honest, and the way he described the performance of his varnish was good enough for me. Time will tell.

Chris
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

Chris,

There is a 25, 2 boats behind mine at Bullock Cove. Same name as yours. I didn't think it was yours because the owner seems to have little concern for his varnish.

I tried Total Boat Lust one season was OK but like Epiphanes better.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

some folks at my marina are convinced of a new product: AWLWOOD. it is expensive .. ruins brushes .. and smells extremely toxic during application. also it is crystal clear which makes the wood take on an odd bluish tint. but hey pretty sure you don't need to sand between coats. and from what I can see lasts a long time in Florida :roll:
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

There is no magic product. There are no short cuts. There is only degrees of results associated with the effort to achieve those results. From easiest to apply which looks it to the most time consuming to apply...which looks it. Pick your poison.

Be cautious about the epoxy based products that purportedly last for years. When it fails, and it will eventually fail, it is the devil to strip it off and begin again.

I don’t really get the whole loathing of sanding. Sanding is not difficult. Taping on the FR takes an hour for both sides. And you have to tape regardless which product you use unless you leave the would bare—which is a fine choice for teak. I tape the day before. The coamings on the FR take 45 min-1 hour per side to sand. It takes 20 min to apply varnish to each side. If Gayle is helping me it takes us about 90 min to sand and varnish. Three hours by myself

Of course if you insist on finishing the toe rail and dorades.... I recommend you start off with a few trim pieces that give you the biggest bang visually. See if you can maintain it. Then, if you can, add more trim to varnish as your skill and dedication increases. Or as someone else suggested use varnish on the big bang trim piece and cetal or similar product on the less visually important trim.

The key to me is to only varnish as much as you are willing to maintain.
John #126

Post by John #126 »

Second the comment on brushes. The pros I have learned from all use foam brushes. The Jen brand, available from JD, Amazon, and online from Home Depot, is the only decent one. No cleaning, solvent to dispose of, pretty much the same results.

The good thing about any finish is that it is reversible. If you really don't like it, strip it and start over.

John