More CD28 Questions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steve Laume

Re: More CD28 Questions

Post by Steve Laume »

When you do gt the cap off, replace the O ring and apply some grease to it. You don't have to crank the cap down too tight to create a seal. That is what the O ring is for, Steve.
BernieA

Post by BernieA »

My CD28 1978 has a 15gallon holding tank under the v berth just aft of the water tank. I am not sure, but I think it is the original layout. As for the pump out fitting, you may need to remove and replace it. Before doing that, try squirting it with lock ease or a light viscosity oil and let it sit for a while then try again.
Dave and Kathy

Post by Dave and Kathy »

Grayce Avery is a 1984 model. Like Steve, the holding tank is built into the aft end of bilge. Ours matches this description from Steve "There is a second access hatch in the cabin sole, directly over the tank. When you lift it, you should see the sanitation hoses going into and out of the tank along with a vent line and an inspection port on top."

Dave
Dave and Kathy
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

the 30 mkII pumpout access is in the cockpit and the holding tank is in the keel below the engine .. with access hatch and inspection port below the ladder.
Rockinar

Post by Rockinar »

Steve Laume wrote:
I'm not sure what makes the POs "morons"

Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

If that is the worst they did in all these years, you have nothing to complain about.
Rockinar

Post by Rockinar »

Found the holding tank. Its under the engine unfortunately. If I spin this cap off is this direct into the tank? What's this cap? Im just trying to not get surprises.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Don't let too many people know about that. That was something Cape Dory installed on some boats for wealthy owners who needed a safe place to store their valuables. Just unscrew the lid and drop in, anything you don't want stolen.

Or it is an inspection port for the holding tank and it is as full of it as I am. It can also be the source of odors in the boat. While not a pleasant job, it is something that might need to be re bedded.

Heads and holding tanks are so much fun, Steve.
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I have an educated guess about that cam cleat, but it's only a guess. Is there a matching cam cleat on port? Did the boat at one time have an aft-mounted traveler? Is this cam cleat for cleating off the traveler car? I really don't think it was installed to hold the shore power cord. That was done out of convenience as a tie-off point.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

You're probably right, Carl. It's just weird that the cams are mounted backwards and the fairlead is at
right angles to the pull. You would expect the whole shebang to be in line with the pull., or have a
block to redirect the pull to the cam cleat. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Right. There would have to be a turning block. That's the best I could come up with the fairlead facing aft. It still doesn't account for the cams being backward.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
rorik

Post by rorik »

Mathilda was built in `79. Holding tank was under v-berth; now on port side and above/behind Lavac head with pump directly above on deck.
The thru hull in your first picture - port aft - is for the bilge pump.
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.