Brown bootstripe paint

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Brown bootstripe paint

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

It's about time to redo the bootstripe on my CD28. The present color is a chocolate brown. (My sail covers are Sunbrella True Brown). I'm looking to stay with brown but not finding brown paint. I think I used Interlux Brightside last time although I'm not sure. Any leads?
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: Brown bootstripe paint

Post by tjr818 »

This is the color mentioned in the manual:
Our 27 had the Guinness tan, I thought that I had seen several with a sky blue non-skid, those might have been painted. The owners manual does list the color of the boot top:
The boot top paint is INTERLUX DADO BROWN #246. It seems as though that would not go well with sky blue. :?

Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

The Awl Grip color is sable brown. I had mine sprayed a few years ago.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

The Awl grip looks more red than I'd like. On my computer it looks closer to Burgundy.

Alexseal has a sable brown that looks closer but they stress it can bubble if wet for even a few days. Not sure how that would hold up in a boot stripe.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Doug Hill

Post by Doug Hill »

Jerry, I used Rust-oleum Leather Brown on both my 28 and 25D. I thought it worked well for Lake Michigan water. I recall applying two coats when I redid the boot stripe. My criteria was the "10 foot rule"....looked pretty good from 10 feet away. Here is a link: https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catal ... er%20Brown

Doug Hill
Doug Hill
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Doug,

Interesting idea. Lot better price than marine paint. Last time I did it, it was a thing of beauty. You could have shaved in the reflection. I put it in the water and it looked just like everyone else's. LOL

10 ft rule is probably ok.

Thanks,

Jerry
Jerry Hammernik

Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Jerry Hammernik wrote:The Awl grip looks more red than I'd like. On my computer it looks closer to Burgundy.

Alexseal has a sable brown that looks closer but they stress it can bubble if wet for even a few days. Not sure how that would hold up in a boot stripe.
It must be your device. Not a hint of red in the sable brown.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Jim,

The photo of your boat's stripe looks brown. Must be the website with the sample on it. How has it held up? Any bubbles from water contact?
Jerry Hammernik

Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Jerry Hammernik wrote:Jim,

The photo of your boat's stripe looks brown. Must be the website with the sample on it. How has it held up? Any bubbles from water contact?
No bubbles. I just checked and I had it done in 2017.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Keith

Post by Keith »

Mine is dado brown (Epifanes #11.
2018 Launch.JPG
Bottom & Booot Top Paint.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
guy leslie

Post by guy leslie »

Jerry,
A while back, someone posted the fact that brown paints are hard to find anymore. He mixed black and red for his bottom paint and was quite pleased. I did the same for my boat and took it a bit further for the bootstripe. I used Interlux Brightside and mixed quarts of red and black. I suppose the downside is you'll have plenty of paint left over, but then again, you won't have to buy any for a long time. I'm pleased with the outcome but it seems like other browns I have used, after one season, it's back to losing the gloss and rather dull.
Good luck!
Guy
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

Doug Hill wrote:Jerry, I used Rust-oleum...
Ditto - I used the same paint (different color) and its held up great for 7 years. There is a scuff from the lift strap back when it had just been painted, but no obvious problems from water (also using the 10' rule)
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com