replacing Lexan/Polycarbonate on Bomar Hatch

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

robwm

replacing Lexan/Polycarbonate on Bomar Hatch

Post by robwm »

Contemplating replacing the Lexan/Polycarbonate in the Bomar Hatch on my CD22. It has become very cloudy and is showing some stress fractures on one side. No leaks but just doesn't look good. Is there a source for obtaining a replacement piece of the Lexan/Polycarbonate that is precut to fit? Does Bomar offer replacement parts?

Also, any suggestions/watch-out-fors for doing this repair will be highly welcome.

Robert,
CD22, Hull#122
Hunky Dory, Lake Travis TX
appletim1

Re: replacing Lexan/Polycarbonate on Bomar Hatch

Post by appletim1 »

I was able to buff mine clean using Buff Magic, a foam applicator and a cheap polisher from Harbor Freight.
robwm

Post by robwm »

Thanks ! Also I have PM'd you regarding that mainsail for the CD22, is it still available?

Robert
S/V Ethan Grey

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

Following.
i need to replace both of mine. the front is broken and the rear is leaking. I remember reading that cast acrylic is a good choice. I can't recall where to get it though. I'll search the archives and see if i can find it. I just replaced the seals on mine. got the material from hatchmasters.com. they'll restore your hatch, if you want to send it in and pay someone to do it.
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947
RichardM

Post by RichardM »

TAP Plastics will provide ploycarbonent [lexan] lens cut to size. Light gray tint [57%] with UV protection. Have them cut to size with 1" radius corners. Good price and fast delivery. I used 3M VHB bonding tape and Dow 995 black structural silicone sealant to install lens. As black paint on aluminum was in bad shape repainted with high performance enamel Rustoleum aluminum color spray paint.
RichardM

Post by RichardM »

Bomar will supply gasket for Bomar hatch. Also other suppliers. Search board for other posts for vendors.
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

Thanks RichardM for the lead on TAP.

I was holding off restoring my hatch because of the expense in the hundreds. I just checked TAP and price for lens looks like less than $50. Did you use 1/8 or 1/4 inch thick?

Thanks again,
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
RichardM

Post by RichardM »

Bomar original was 3/16" and I used the 1/4" polycarbonate which Bomar recommended.