Cutlass Bearing Replacement

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob_S

Cutlass Bearing Replacement

Post by Bob_S »

Hello all - So here's my rookie question of the day :) (so many questions). While struggling to get the prop off of my CD27(another story) I do notice there is some play in the shaft where it passes through the bearing. If I grab hold and wiggle it, there's a little bit of play. Maybe a 16th of an inch (or less) I am surrounded by a few other CDs - 30's and 33's so Just for the heck of it I tried it on those shafts and they are solid, no movement at all. Is a little bit of movement acceptable or should there be none?
As always. Thank you all !!
Bob S.
81 CD27 #212
Jim Walsh

Re: Cutlass Bearing Replacement

Post by Jim Walsh »

Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Steve Laume

Re: Cutlass Bearing Replacement

Post by Steve Laume »

The last time I had Raven hauled in the yard, I found the same situation as yours. There was some movement but I didn't want to add replacing the cutlass bearing to my work list. I went around checking out other prop shafts and found them to have no play. I was still hoping I wouldn't have to deal with when Jim came over and soundly condemned the thing. I changed it and felt much better for doing so. You know it needs to be done and it isn't going to get better. Now is the time to do it, Steve.