Club footed jib setup

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Rockinar

Club footed jib setup

Post by Rockinar »

My 28 came with a club footed jib setup and 2 sails for it. Internet opinions seem to vary on it. Id like to give it a try before I decided if Im going to keep it on or not. Sure takes up a lot of space.

Anyone explain how this this is rigged up? Based on pictures, looks like you rig the jib sheets to the end up the boom somehow, then a single sheet from the boom runs back to the cabin winch, where you can control the jib by introducing/reducing slack in the single sheet line?

Close?

How do you connect the jib the boom with roller furling? Any pictures or video? I cant find anything.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Re: Club footed jib setup

Post by jbenagh »

The original user manual, available on this site, has directions for rigging the club jib. They are pretty good.
You do need a good outhaul and I think you need a very compact one to get good performance. You most likely do not need to pull the sail to the end of the boom to get good performance. The sheet is to the bottom but the outhaul is to the top of the boom.
You may want ot spend a little time with both before you convince yourself anything is wrong.

Jeff
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Rockinar wrote:My 28 came with a club footed jib setup and 2 sails for it. Internet opinions seem to vary on it. Id like to give it a try before I decided if Im going to keep it on or not. Sure takes up a lot of space.

Anyone explain how this this is rigged up? Based on pictures, looks like you rig the jib sheets to the end up the boom somehow, then a single sheet from the boom runs back to the cabin winch, where you can control the jib by introducing/reducing slack in the single sheet line?

Close?

How do you connect the jib the boom with roller furling? Any pictures or video? I cant find anything.
This is not a CD28 but my CD31 which has roller furling on both the yankee and the staysail which would represent your headsail, in this example.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Rockinar

Post by Rockinar »

jbenagh wrote:The original user manual, available on this site, has directions for rigging the club jib. They are pretty good.
You do need a good outhaul and I think you need a very compact one to get good performance. You most likely do not need to pull the sail to the end of the boom to get good performance. The sheet is to the bottom but the outhaul is to the top of the boom.
You may want ot spend a little time with both before you convince yourself anything is wrong.

Jeff

I have the manual from 1986 I downloaded off here. I don't see anywhere in it mentioning the club footed jib. Shows the boom reefing, etc but I don't see it mention the jib rigging.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Rigging is straightforward:

Single sheet - There's a padeye on the cabin top, port side forward. the jib sheet starts there, goes through a block at the end of the boom, through the stand up block on the stbd side of the cabin top, then back to the winch on the cabin top.

Outhaul - From the clew to the end of the boom.

Topping lift - From boom end, to a block on the mast, then down to a cleat on the mast.

To rig roller furling, the outhaul needs to be able to be trimmed from the cockpit. So from the clew, through a block at boom end, back forward to a turning block and back to the cockpit.

I've (rarely) used the jib boom with my 130 Genoa... just unrolled it to about 100% so it was sized to the jib boom. It was fun, but pretty much without purpose.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Here's a sketch I did years ago for someone else:
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

mgphl52 wrote:Here's a sketch I did years ago for someone else:

MGPHL52,
That’s a really well done free hand drawing. Full of useful information. Looks like something that should be in one of Bruce Bingham’s book. Outstanding!
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

That drawing makes the rigging very clear. It would never make it into Bingham's book qs it lacks a mouse, Steve.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

John Stone wrote: MGPHL52,
That’s a really well done free hand drawing. Full of useful information. Looks like something that should be in one of Bruce Bingham’s book. Outstanding!
Thanks, John! I just wish the jib boom & hardware had not gotten separated from KAYLA by the time I bought her...

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Post by moctrams »

I noticed the double block set up on Orion's staysail. Does it make it easier to furl?
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

moctrams wrote:I noticed the double block set up on Orion's staysail. Does it make it easier to furl?
It’s a two part tackle on the outhaul so it halves the force necessary to set it in strong winds. The furling portion is 1/1, so in strong winds it’s necessary to release the staysail sheet a bit to reduce the force required to furl the sail.
I used Harken Carbo blocks so they weigh almost nothing and still have a working load rating of nearly 500 pounds. The staysail has been used in some pretty extreme conditions. This setup has worked very well for me.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

Rockinar wrote:My 28 came with a club footed jib setup ... Id like to give it a try before I decided if Im going to keep it ...
Don't give up on this rig too soon. I used to call this the "company aboard" sail, because while tacking with guests in the cockpit (especially non-sailors), I never had to ask a person to move around when handling the sheets. Also this rig can save your bacon while getting back inside the harbor short-handed in windy conditions.

Note however that on the CD28 the "Crosby-style" setup leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to sail shape. A real traveler similar to those on the larger Cape Dory models does much better.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Like so many things, it just depends on how you use your boat.

I have kept the boom on Raven. I sail mostly single handed or with inexperienced crew and it helps to not have to deal with two sets of sheets when tacking. If I am short tacking through a mooring field or a narrow channel then I will often sail with only the staysail and main so I can tack at will. If I always had experienced crew or was doing a lot of long offshore passages then I might consider getting rid of it. It does take up deck space but any staysail would do that. I do use it to brace against when working on the bow. I also have a bail on the end so I can tie it off to a shroud to kept it out of the way when not in use.

Even though I do make some off shore passages, they have never been much more than a week in duration so the benefits still out weigh the negatives for me, Steve.
Pembquist

Post by Pembquist »

I have the original rigging on my 1977 CD 28 and it is like the drawing above except that it is a single block at the boom and the starboard pad eye. The end of the sheet attaches to the the port pad eye. I have a hank on jib for it. It doesn't work very well if the wind is aft of the beam but for tacking back and forth up wind in a channel or river it is really nice. What I would love to have is some kind of semi cutter rig were I could leave the Genoa on a separate stay so I wouldn't have to hank off hank on after sailing all day one way up the Columbia.

This brings to mind a question I always had about staysails: do they need the stay except for making them manageable? I mean would the luff line and halyard alone make the sail work well?
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Pembquist wrote: This brings to mind a question I always had about staysails: do they need the stay except for making them manageable? I mean would the luff line and halyard alone make the sail work well?
That is referred to as “set flying”....the luff not being hanked to a stay. What happens is the luff sags to leeward and does you no favor if going to windward. On a broad reach it is still a pain to keep the sail from “luffing” and ruining the shape of the sail.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION