More CD28 Questions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Rockinar

More CD28 Questions

Post by Rockinar »

Sorry for al the questions, Im new to sailing and Cape Dory and my survey guy was horrible and no help and I'm trying to fix 35 years of morons DIY.

1) Where should my holding tank be? I don't see it anywhere. I thought it was under the port settee or in the v birth. It literally looks like the pump out cap is plumbed directly to the toilet.

2) The pumpout cap is stuck. Any ideas to get it off? I tried to spin it with a punch and hammer. No luck there. Ideas?

3) Where is this small through hull on the port side of the transom supposed to go? Mine is connected to about 3 feet of hose that goes to the top of the locker and connected to nothing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walter Hobbs

Re: More CD28 Questions

Post by Walter Hobbs »

I have a 27 so may not be the same, I sure some 28 owners will chime in.

#1 I don't think holding tanks were required in the 70s so tanks are after market and have various placement. Mine is under the portside V berth, plumbed to a y valve to discharge overboard or to on deck pump out. I would think that you could follow your head hoses to see if you have a tank.

#2 Is your pump out cap plastic or metal? Usual solutions are soak in PB Blaster, if metal, gentle heat but don't burn the fiberglass, and have the correct tool that fits well.

# 3 On my boat that thru hull is connected to the manual bilge pump which is mounted in the cockpit.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I just looked here http://www.capedory.org/cdsoalook-group ... inemanuals and the 1978 Owners Manual does not mention a holding tank. The 1981 Owners Manual does.
I bought a new Ericson in 1978 and it did have a holding tank so clearly these were transition years.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Rockinar

Post by Rockinar »

Jim Walsh wrote:I just looked here http://www.capedory.org/cdsoalook-group ... inemanuals and the 1978 Owners Manual does not mention a holding tank. The 1981 Owners Manual does.
I bought a new Ericson in 1978 and it did have a holding tank so clearly these were transition years.

Mine is an 84 if that makes any difference.
Capt Rich

Post by Capt Rich »

164635DE-A9A2-4A4D-A8B9-3AF37F123ABC.jpeg
Here is the diagram from my 1983 Cape Dory 28 manual. Note the placement of the deck fitting and vent, my tank is under the v-birth on the starboard side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Happily sailing Cape Dory 28 hull# 343
On the Great Lakes out of our home port of Huron, Ohio
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I am sure your boat had a holding tank and probably still does. You know where the head is and you know where the pump out is so you know what you have to do. Follow those lines. I would imagine it will be closer to where the pump out is. On Raven, a 1984, CD-30, the pump out is in the cockpit sole. The tank is built into the aft end of the bilge.

That little through hull fitting could be for a propane vent or a small electric bilge pump. My first guess would be propane and it would have been connected to some sort of sealed locker. What fuel does your stove use and where is it stored?

I'm not sure what makes the POs "morons" but the boat looks to be in great shape and you have an entire fleet of knowledge here on this board. You still need to get to know your own boat to find out where and how things work, Steve.
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Post by moctrams »

I wonder if holding tank is beneath engine like a CD30C 1984.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

KAYLA's holding tank is directly behind the head where there previously was a hanging locker.
This was done a boatwright who had her two owners before me.
I think the tank was originally some where under the v-berth.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

What year and what hull # is your 28?

That will help us find similar boats.

My 1983 #341 has the holding tank under the v-berth. Pumpout fitting is on the bow starboard side.

The fitting on port aft quarter is bilge bump outlet on mine.

Jerry
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

One thought on the tight pump out cap.. I had a had a similar situation on a non-CD boat.. turned out the holding tank was under A LOT of pressure. When I got it off....near brown gushing geyser...I was able to get it back on in time....fun times

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
Rockinar

Post by Rockinar »

s2sailorlis wrote:One thought on the tight pump out cap.. I had a had a similar situation on a non-CD boat.. turned out the holding tank was under A LOT of pressure. When I got it off....near brown gushing geyser...I was able to get it back on in time....fun times

I hope that's not the case....LOL.
Rockinar

Post by Rockinar »

Jerry Hammernik wrote:What year and what hull # is your 28?

That will help us find similar boats.

My 1983 #341 has the holding tank under the v-berth. Pumpout fitting is on the bow starboard side.

The fitting on port aft quarter is bilge bump outlet on mine.

Jerry

It's an 84 #372 and the pumpout cap on on the cockpit floor. Seems like an odd location. I wonder if this is a DIY plumbing job done by an owner in the past. Seems like such an odd location.
Pembquist

Post by Pembquist »

My 77 28 did not have a holding tank but a bag added after it was built. Port side of V-birth. The through hull on my boat is connected to the bilge pump which is on the port side locker/seat. That does seem like an odd place to put a waste pump out. I can't see how there would be room for a waste tank under the engine, the shaft would drip on it and it would be a very custom shape, but what do I know. Follow the hoses.
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Post by moctrams »

The 1984 CD30C holding tank was laid up in the hull below engine when the boat was built. Notice the white hoses.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I like the pump out in the foot well. It is a very convenient location to attach the pump out hose whether I use a pump out boat or my own pump, offshore. It makes it very easy to rinse things off after pumping the tank.

I am pretty certain you will find the holding tank built into the aft end of bilge. On Raven there is a second access hatch in the cabin sole, directly over the tank. When you lift it, you should see the sanitation hoses going into and out of the tank along with a vent line and an inspection port on top. There is also a clear strip of fiberglass running up the vertical face of the tank on the forward side. If you hold a flashlight, tight against the inspection port, you should be able to see the tank level in this un gel coated area.

If the cap proves to be impossible to remove in place, you could always remove it to take it home. It is only one clamp on the sanitation hose and three screws to get it out. Then you could have your way with it in whatever manner seems necessary, Steve.