CD28 Primary winches

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: CD28 Primary winches

Post by John Stone »

I’m confused. I thought these were Barient 17”ST” winches. “Self tailing.” If so, they are valuable. You’ll have no problem selling them. If I understood correctly, hang on to them for awhile. But the question originally asked is what is good size winch for a CD 28. I think Lewmars jump from 16 to 30. So you are probably looking at 30s.

If you want to do that you can use those 17s for a spinnaker or for halyard winches or a furler or just about anything. Whatever you decide I agree you should rebuild them. They may only need to be cleaned. The pawl springs may be fine too.

If you clean them up you may even decide to use them as primary sheet winches. Worse case, you’ll get more for them if they are fully operational.
Rockinar

Post by Rockinar »

John Stone wrote:I’m confused. I thought these were Barient 17”ST” winches. “Self tailing.” If so, they are valuable. You’ll have no problem selling them. If I understood correctly, hang on to them for awhile. But the question originally asked is what is good size winch for a CD 28. I think Lewmars jump from 16 to 30. So you are probably looking at 30s.

If you want to do that you can use those 17s for a spinnaker or for halyard winches or a furler or just about anything. Whatever you decide I agree you should rebuild them. They may only need to be cleaned. The pawl springs may be fine too.

If you clean them up you may even decide to use them as primary sheet winches. Worse case, you’ll get more for them if they are fully operational.

They are Barient 17ST (Self tailing). Im going to pull them off today and bring them home to go over real good. They need more than a squirt of degreaser. The starboard side is so gummed up that I have to use both hands and some muscle on the barrel to get it to just spin. Not even possible to sail with it as is.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Rockinar wrote:
John Stone wrote:I’m confused. I thought these were Barient 17”ST” winches. “Self tailing.” If so, they are valuable. You’ll have no problem selling them. If I understood correctly, hang on to them for awhile. But the question originally asked is what is good size winch for a CD 28. I think Lewmars jump from 16 to 30. So you are probably looking at 30s.

They are Barient 17ST (Self tailing). Im going to pull them off today and bring them home to go over real good. They need more than a squirt of degreaser. The starboard side is so gummed up that I have to use both hands and some muscle on the barrel to get it to just spin. Not even possible to sail with it as is.
There was a time when Barient was the Cadillac of winches. I think you’ll be surprised what a thorough cleaning, greasing, and oiling of those winch will do.
Rockinar

Post by Rockinar »

John Stone wrote:
There was a time when Barient was the Cadillac of winches. I think you’ll be surprised what a thorough cleaning, greasing, and oiling of those winch will do.

I took them apart and cleaned everything. They are fine now.