CD 27 "Holding Tank" Capacity?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

TVinYpsi

CD 27 "Holding Tank" Capacity?

Post by TVinYpsi »

The CD 27 we bought and brought over to Michigan from Mystic in the spring of 2018 (and are still rehab-ing!) apparently uses a void in the keel as a waste holding tank. I don't know how common this was on CD's, but I'd never encountered this design in my limited previous experience. I'm not sure I want to trust it. Does anyone know what capacity this thing would have? ... any experience with this design, good or bad? I wonder if it would be better to convert to a more typical tank arrangement.
[-tv]
[-tv]
Tom & Sarah VanderMeulen
"Grace O'Malley"
Cape Dory 27, 1983-Hull #257
Port of Call: Monroe, Michigan
Northstar1014

Re: CD 27 "Holding Tank" Capacity?

Post by Northstar1014 »

What year is your CD?

Assuming you are referring to the glassed in tank that occupies the space under the engine, I believe it has a 15 gallon capacity. Assuming yours doesn't leak and operates as it should, there is nothing wrong with the design nor any reason to modify it. I had this arrangement and thought it made good use of the space - always worked perfectly too. Make sure it is pumped out every fall however, because if it should freeze and crack the repair would be very unpleasant.
S/V RESOLVED. 1983 CD-27. Westerbeke W-13.

Massachusetts
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

My CD 27 is a 77. My holding tank is not original to the boat and is under the portside V berth. Plumbed to pump out and overboard discharge via Y valve. I did not know that any 27 s came with factory installed holding tanks. I keep learning about all the changes that were made to these boats over the years. IE folding saloon table, teak and holly cabin sole, changed electrical panel. My tank hold about 12 gallons.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
TVinYpsi

Post by TVinYpsi »

Thank you for the feedback!
Ours is a 1983 vintage CD 27, hull #257. Includes the folding dining table, too, plus two fresh water tanks totaling ~25 gal. One under the v-berth, and one under the port berth. The holding tank inlet and outlet are located just forward of the engine, accessed by removing the companionway steps. The tank is evacuated through a deck fitting on the starboard side, just forward of the main winch. There don't appear to be any problems with it, but we haven't put it to the test at all either!
Perhaps I'll just make sure it's well cleaned out and replace the waste hoses before launching.
Cheers!
[-tv]
Tom & Sarah VanderMeulen
"Grace O'Malley"
TVinYpsi

Post by TVinYpsi »

By the way, NorthStar, our CD27 also came equipped with a Westerbeke 13 that the surveyor said was in fair working condition. However, we will be converting the boat to full electric propulsion before re-launching.
Does your boat have shore power? Ours does not, but I'll need to add it. Just wondering where the most convenient and practical location for the power inlet would be. There does not appear to be enough room behind the main panel for the inlet wiring.
[Maybe this is a whole other topic!]
[-tv]
Tom & Sarah VanderMeulen
"Grace O'Malley"
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

After your last fall pump out I would definitely pour in a gallon of pink antifreeze in the head and pump it through. That way all your lines and holding tank are protected from freezing.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

Horizon Song has an ancient and reliable Yanmar YSB 8. No shore power.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
Hutch_north

Post by Hutch_north »

we will be converting the boat to full electric propulsion before re-launching.
What system are you planning to install, or are you assembling your own system?
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

I think the location is a great idea. No odors whatsoever unless you open the inspection port. You have to keep an eye out on whether or not it is full .. or it will probably overflow into your bilge or out the vent.