CD30 Bowsprit

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

jbenagh
Salem, MA

CD30 Bowsprit

Post by jbenagh »

My CD30 got hit by another boat while on her mooring during the bomb cyclone last month. Everything forward of the forestay is gone including the Spartan anchor roller. I need to replace the bowsprit among other work. The boatyard is doing most of the work but I'm building the bowsprit assembly for them to install.

Does anyone have the dimension for the overall length? She's a 1983 if that makes a difference. Also, mine was bolted through the strips with bronze rod at the forward end which I know since I cut through it when adding the anchor roller. I've made bolts like this of bronze rod and cut threads for a washer an nut at both ends. Are all the bolts further back bronze? What would you pack the space with before putting on the bung? I'm pretty sure the attachment of the sprit to the hull is done with stainless steel.

Also, I located the anchor roller offset to starboard leaving about 1in of teak on starboard and about 4 inches to port. This made it convenient for a right-handed person (like me) to deal with anchor handling but prevents putting another anchor forward. Has anyone figured out a way to keep two anchors ready at the bow on a CD30?

Jeff
Kickin Bears

Re: CD30 Bowsprit

Post by Kickin Bears »

Our CD30C was just hauled out today; below are some pics I just snapped (getting dark so just made sure to get you the best pics of level measurements I could). I’m replacing my bowsprit this winter; not crazy about the split that’s happening. Thankfully, the bow plate is in moderate/decent condition for its age so can back burner that project for at least a decade (fingers crossed).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kickin Bears on Nov 25th, '19, 17:11, edited 2 times in total.
Kickin Bears

Post by Kickin Bears »

I width pics:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kickin Bears

Post by Kickin Bears »

Anchor roller:
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Thanks! That's just what I needed.

Jeff
Kickin Bears

Post by Kickin Bears »

You’re welcome; just realized I didn’t get you thickness. Can get that next time I’m out there if you need it (though it’ll be the wknd after thxgiving that I’m back out)
tramsay

Post by tramsay »

This is great. I purchased a cd30k earlier this spring. The bowsprit and rails are two of the many projects. I'm fabricating these over the winter. Thank you for the measurements.
K Chiswell

Post by K Chiswell »

Jeff,

Our CD330 and the 36's have bowsprits a good bit wider than the 30. I have a friend with a CD30 who replaced his bowsprit with something very close to the factory original dimensions. As he sailed the boat more I think there is part of him that wishes he made it slightly different. For example making it a little wider to fit two anchors or a little longer so his code 0 could mount clear ahead of the pullpit. Making a new bowsprit is a pretty big project, mind as well get the most of it.

If you want two anchors staggering the rollers fore and aft can help without having to go too wide. Here is a link to some pictures of reworking our bowsprit.

https://www.banksandreedboatworks.com/b ... #/bowsprit
Kickin Bears

Post by Kickin Bears »

Thought I’d hop in here and post pictures of work on our bowsprit. Our bowsprit is splitting in multiple places due to the wood getting dried out (doesn’t look like it’s ever been maintained / oiled). The wood is rotted around the anchor roller, and since the bowsprit takes horizontal load from compression from the standing rigging I wanted to have something on there I could trust.

The bow plate is rusted, but not flaking apart, so leaving that alone given other projects with higher priority

I made it as far as getting 3 of the 10 nuts off. Only one wouldn’t budge at all (to the point of stripping unfortunately). The rest made it ~1/2 way off the bolt

I think I’m just going to get the grinder out and grind off the nut unless someone has a better idea. The idea of using a grinder in there isn’t appealing between the possibility of personal harm or damage the boat if I slip, butcha gotta fo whatcha gotta do, right? :D
billsimmeth

Post by billsimmeth »

Can't tell from your picture if you're using lube, but I'd highly recommend judicious use of something like PB Blaster or Aerokroil. As an alternative to a grinder, try a nut splitter tool.
Bill Simmeth - Delaplane, VA
TyWe 1176 "Whisper" - Fishing Bay, VA

Only dead fish go with the flow.
Kickin Bears

Post by Kickin Bears »

I always keep PB Blaster around. The problem is less the nut being able to move and more that its coated in some type of paint that bunches up. I could in theory spend time cleaning the threads, and backing >> FWing >> repeat but I’d rather be more efficient with my time

Will check out a nut splitter; never heard it before. As long as the tool doesn’t require going around the nut, as the problem nut is in a spot where that is bot possible

Else .. grinder often solves my disassembly problems :wink:
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

I mights be wrong, but if you are worried about using a grinder in the confines of that narrow bow space I think that I would try grinding the heads off of the bolts from the top. The bowsprit is toast anyway. Can an approach from the top work?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
S/V Ethan Grey

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

Following. My bowsprit is cracked and I want to replace it as well. Given the time and energy, I'd love to replace it with what John Stone did. But, I'm lazy and unskilled.
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947
Kickin Bears

Post by Kickin Bears »

@Tim — thats an option, but I am trying to save the current bowsprit as a template. If it feels unsafe when I get in there to grind thats exactly what I’ll do
S/V Ethan Grey wrote:Following. My bowsprit is cracked and I want to replace it as well. Given the time and energy, I'd love to replace it with what John Stone did. But, I'm lazy and unskilled.
yeah, I have to drive an hour and a half to get a workday in on the boat (closer than many too). I would love to take on more robust projects where I could put in a few hours everyday. Doing my best to balance functionality and safety with time / $$s. She’ll be in great shape for my use right now (bay cruising / staying out on the water for a few days easy). She’ll be turnkey ready for the next owner too when ‘m ready to get my Bluewater boat (~3-4yrs off in the plan). :wink:
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

here is the wide bowsprit on the CD30 mkII.