Hotwater Heater Replacement - CD30B

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Bob Ohler

Hotwater Heater Replacement - CD30B

Post by Bob Ohler »

I am sure I am not the first person to have to tackle this project. On my 1984, CD30B, the hotwater heater that is in the starboard cockpit locker needs to be replaced. I have been watching the condition of what I am sure is the original heater, and the time has come to replace it.

Can any CD30B owners coach me in this project?

Thanks,

Bob Ohler
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Steve Laume

Re: Hotwater Heater Replacement - CD30B

Post by Steve Laume »

Raven is not a B model but I did replace her water heater years ago. I managed to squeeze a 4 Gal Isotherm heater in behind the engine, set crosswise. There is an inch or so to spare on both sides. I glassed in a flat platform to fasten it to. This keeps the weight low and centered in the boat while freeing up all the cockpit locker space. I cut back the shelf the old Raritan heater used to sit on and moved my batteries a bit further forward while getting better access to the cockpit drain, seacock.

The Isotherm heater is pretty amazing. It will stay hot overnight and warm for 24 hours.

Measure twice, Steve.
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Don't have a CD30B but I can tell you that on our CD36 getting the old water heater out required cutting it up in place, it would not come out in one piece. We replaced it with an "Isotemp Slim 15 Marine Water Heater - 4 Gallon". Although it has a smaller capacity than the original 6 gallon we actually get more useable hot water. I comes with a mixing valve (our original Super Store didn't have one) so we don't waste nearly as much water getting the temperature adjusted. Isotemp also has some rectangular models that may be a better fit.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Orion also has had an Isotherm replacement water heater for several years now. The old one was convinced to come out of the locker with a 34 oz. ball peen hammer and a pry bar to remove the outer jacket first. The actual tank came out in one piece. The 4 gallon slim model popped right in and was mounted to the original shelf with no problems.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

Thanks for the feedback Steve, Rich, and Jim! Anyone else with this same experience on a CD30B?

Thanks!

Bob O.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

We have the same model CD as Jim W. We used a sawzall to reduce the old heater to removable chunks, and replaced it with the 4-gallon isotherm. Works fine, though we don't use it all that much.

I recall Steve L. devised a set of valves to make winterizing the water heater much simpler. When we had our 31 repowered a few years back, we had the yard mechanic design a similar device, which pays or itself every fall for winterizing.

Good luck with the project.

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

Thank you Jenn and Terry
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Like the Abato’s, we had to take the old Raritan hot water heater apart to remove it from the cockpit lazerette of our CD32. We had to remove the outer steel skin and insulation then the internal “steel bottle” could be removed. This was several years ago. We replaced it with a 6-gallon Volvo Penta QL hot water heater. They have/had models from 5 to 16 gallons. I’m not sure if the QL line is still around but the Isotherm models are very similar.
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay