Spinnaker Hardware

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

shavdog

Spinnaker Hardware

Post by shavdog »

Planning on purchasing a asym spinnaker and need what I would call a mast tang for mounting towards the top of my mast(typhoon)...I hunted around but am having alittle trouble finding something that would work....I did run into one for a laser but I don't know if it is big enough....anyone out there buy something I might consider....thanks...craig
sloopjohnl

Re: Spinnaker Hardware

Post by sloopjohnl »

Craig, i can't speak for your boat, but my '76 Typhoon came equipped with a track and ring for the spinnaker pole mounted on the front of the mast and a tang (just above the sheave that exits the mast for the jib/genoa halyard) for mounting a block for the spinnaker halyard. i use that setup for my asymmetrical and it works just fine. However it does give you a smaller sail obviously than a masthead setup will. if you have that tang on your mast i would imagine you could move it to the masthead without much trouble.
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

Dwyer might have what you need: https://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat ... M-375+Mast

I'm pretty sure the DM-375 extrusion matches the Typhoon mast, but you should check to make sure.
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

Thanks for the info....this morning I ordered a used piece off of ebay....part number 2690000 Hobie....the seller said it would fit any 3 1/2 inch mast....I'll post my results and a picture when I get it....I want a bigger asym spinnaker I can hoist all the way up.....Ben...we were over in Traverse City last Thursday and Friday...I bought the typhoon from Inland Seas Nonprofit Assn....it's 1981 weekender...my third typhoon...this is the nicest of the three I have owned...no teak damage or wear ...nothing on the ccockpit forward bulkhead and no lifelines...the trailer isn't fabulous so I brought along two new tires and rims...greased the wheel bearings and pulled the sailboat home...680 miles and no issues...
John #126

Post by John #126 »

I'm not sure what the masthead looks like on a typhoon.
For my assym on my CD25D, I used one of the K-10593 from Rig-Rite:
https://rigrite.com/Spars/SparParts/MH_ ... _bails.php

John
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

John...thanks for the link...the masthead on a typhoon is about 1 inch wide on top so the first mast bail would be the one I would have to use with two screws...I'll see if the one I bought works and if not I would buy the one on rigrite...thanks...craig
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Just an FYI - This is Babette flying "everything" http://capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php ... te#p122047
while not a true asym, it's an oversized drifter I designed myself.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

shavdog wrote:Ben...we were over in Traverse City last Thursday and Friday...I bought the typhoon from Inland Seas Nonprofit Assn....it's 1981 weekender...my third typhoon...this is the nicest of the three I have owned.
Congrats! Inland Seas is a great organization, so I'm glad they got your money, and you got a good Typhoon out of the deal. The trailer might not be fabulous, but it looks like a better conversion job than mine.
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

I just rec'd part 269000...does not fit...don't order it..I sent it back....I would order Rigrite SP-019-2 Masthead Spinnaker Bail....