Repowering a CD31

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Dean Abramson

Repowering a CD31

Post by Dean Abramson »

We are thinking about maybe repowering our CD31.

I'd appreciate input from anyone who has repowered (or closely studied repowering) a 31.

It might also be helpful to hear from folks who did a 30, 32 or 33. (I'm wondering if the 32 has the same engine bay as the 31.) Our current engine is a Universal M25. I don't know if all 31s had them. I'd be particularly interested in engine swaps where the M25 footprint is the starting point.

I have read that the Universal M25 has the same footprint as an Atomic 4, if that factoid is of any use.

Which engines should we be looking at, and why?

Thanks.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Jim Walsh

Re: Repowering a CD31

Post by Jim Walsh »

When I purchased Orion in December 2006 I knew the M25 needed a major rebuild. I had no intention of putting thousands into a 22 year old engine of which I knew no history. I had it replaced before Orion was launched in 2007 with a Universal M-25XPB. Like many marine diesels it it based on a Kubota block. It fit in the same space though the engine mounts were not identical. It has performed very well over the years.
I believe Terry McAdams repowered Glissade with a Beta.
Last edited by Jim Walsh on Oct 11th, '19, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Dean, I'd recommend Beta, Universal or Yanmar. The first two are Kubota-based. Nanni is also Kubota-based
and from what I've read on the internet, is well-respected but has serious problems with parts distribution.
I'm finishing the installation of a Beta 25 in my CD 33 and with a deluxe control panel, 7 degree down-angle
transmission and 75 amp alternator, the cost is around $11,000. That's doing the work myself. I think the Betas
are priced higher than Universals, probably because of the beautiful red paint job.
You also get an on-board oil change pump.
Hopefully, in a couple of weeks I'll post some pictures of the project. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Dean Abramson

Post by Dean Abramson »

Thanks so much, Jim and Frenchy.

Jim, I was looking at the M25XPB also; it seemed likely (without any measuring on my part, admittedly) to fit in readily. But then I ran across this thread:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchan ... PB-warning

Of course, ya know, it's the internet. You can find pro and con on almost anything. But that thread has XPB Hurth transmissions giving up after 125-150 hours! Pretty different than you getting a dozen good years and counting. I'm wondering if those people did their own installations, and screwed them up.
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

Hi, Dean,
My 31 was repowered prior to my purchase, probably about 10 years ago, with a Yanmar 3YM30. While the engine has been extremely reliable, it is significantly larger than the original Universal and had required some minor modification of the engine compartment, though not the bed itself. Specifically it is significantly wider and several hoses had to be re-routed, some ending up passing underneath the oil pan, making the holding tank access port no so accessible. In addition, the starboard wall of the engine compartment was cut open to allow access to the oil filter from the opposite side of the wall. Since I had never seen the layout of the original engine I cannot be certain of other modifications. I do suspect re-routing of the the cockpit scupper hoses and the raw water coolant hoses and filter.
I just hauled and Danusia is sitting in my driveway. Feel free to come over any time and take a look.

David
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

Hi Dean!

Jenn and Terry McAdams here, owners of Glissade, CD 31.

Sorry to be late responding, but we've been busy hauling the boat and doing the decon at Blue Hill, ME.

Yes, Jim Walsh is correct that we re-powered with a Kubota block (Beta 25) in 2017. We did not do the work ourselves and replaced pretty much everything, including shaft, prop, entire exhaust, mounts, controls and upgraded the gauges. Total cost was about $22,000. The new mill is far easier to service, particularly the trans fluid, zincs, oil/fuel filters and oil changes. Quieter and about twice the fuel economy. Much, much better transmission.

Like all Kubota engines, many parts can be sourced thru tractor supply houses at much lower cost.

We note that your new control levers may work backwards with the new engine (shift and throttle). Not hard to get used to but our mechanic was able to fabricate a part that corrected this. Niel Collins at Direcktor in Robbinood, ME, but other mechanics familiar with Kubota engines could probably make the part for you (we can send photos if needed).

A new engine is expensive but a joy.

PM if you have questions. We'll give you our phone if you'd like to chat.

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

David Morton wrote:Hi, Dean,
My 31 was repowered prior to my purchase, probably about 10 years ago, with a Yanmar 3YM30. While the engine has been extremely reliable, it is significantly larger than the original Universal and had required some minor modification of the engine compartment, though not the bed itself. Specifically it is significantly wider and several hoses had to be re-routed, some ending up passing underneath the oil pan, making the holding tank access port no so accessible. In addition, the starboard wall of the engine compartment was cut open to allow access to the oil filter from the opposite side of the wall. Since I had never seen the layout of the original engine I cannot be certain of other modifications. I do suspect re-routing of the the cockpit scupper hoses and the raw water coolant hoses and filter.
I just hauled and Danusia is sitting in my driveway. Feel free to come over any time and take a look.

David
Wow!
I’m impressed you have a CD-31 in your driveway.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

Capt Hook, not an unusual sight in Maine!

"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

AS David said, it's not unusual at all in Maine.

Our CD36 comes home every winter. Here are some pictures of the boat arriving home. These pictures were taken several years ago when we still lived in NH. We still bring the boat home now that we live in Maine. We do store the mast at a boatyard.

http://www.sailmahalo.com/local_html/movehome.html
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
wsonntag
SURPRISE
Georgetown Maryland
Member Since 2005

Post by wsonntag »

We re-powered Surprise with a Universal Westerbeke M25xpb I believe was the current model designation in 2005. Relatively simple swap out done by Vosbury Marine. No regrets, a great engine that's given good service. I can't believe its now been 14 years......