My Ty Weekender needs some care - need advice

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

whistlerntwinks

My Ty Weekender needs some care - need advice

Post by whistlerntwinks »

Hi,
I have a Ty Weekender built in 1984. She's in pretty good shape, but has a few issues. There is a little crazing on the bow deck. Do I need to be worried about this and is there anything I need to do to slow this from getting worse? There are also places on the cockpit seat where the fiberglass haas chipped. Is this a repair I can tackle as a novice or would it be better to let my marina make the repairs? Her boot stripe is looking a little shabby - do you know if the stripe is a painted stripe or is it a tape stripe?And...last question, a few of the hatch covers that are under the vberth cushions have delaminated so need to be repaired. Does anyone know where I can get a couple of hatch covers made?

Thank you in advance,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
.....find your divine spark
Diane
sloopjohnl

Re: My Ty Weekender needs some care - need advice

Post by sloopjohnl »

looks like there may have been air pockets in the gelcoat when the seat was laid up. i have had stress cracks in the same area. no delamination tho so i used a dremel with a grout removal bit to gauge out v-shaped channels where the cracks were. i used white Marine-Tex to fill the cracks and they matched the white pretty well on my '76 Ty. cracks have not returned.
i had long stress cracks on the foredeck emanating from the cleat. when i removed the top skin of fiberglass i found wet balsa underneath. i replaced the balsa with marine grade plywood (small area 6"x8") and west system epoxy followed with a foredeck paint job of Petit sandstone. at least 10 years ago and no returning cracks.
Drying time may be required if plywood or replacement if wet balsa.
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Nothing looks more than cosmetic damage. A marina will charge you $$- if you feel adventurous do the work yourself, it gives you a connected feeling to the boat and will make you a safer sailer. Youtube is your friend you can find info on how to do most anything. My favorites are Boatworkstoday, onboard lifestyle, sail life, and for motors Dangar Marine.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I have dealt with those tiny crazing cracks a couple of times. Once was on a CD14 hull, over ten years ago. I sanded it fairly aggressively and gave it a coat of West Systems epoxy, then painted it. The crazing has never reappeared in that time.

Raven's cockpit had the same crazing as in your boat but maybe a bit worse. It was virtually all in the non skid area of the foot well with some slightly showing on the seats. This was not a boat wide problem but only in those areas. I was planning to re do the non skid coating, so I once again gave the affected areas a good sanding and a coat of epoxy. In neither of these cases did I go to the trouble of trying to gouge out the crazing cracks. You might do this for larger gel coat cracks but I don't think it is practical or necessary for these tiny crazing cracks. After the epoxy coat, I gave the area another sanding and applied Kiwi Grip over it.

It made more difference than I imagined. No more crazing and nice fresh non skid. This is a pretty easy thing to fix this way and Raven is looking proud once again, Steve.