Damper Disc issues - Symptoms?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

AMcC

Damper Disc issues - Symptoms?

Post by AMcC »

I just sent my KM2A trans off to Rick at East Coast Marine Transmissions in NJ for a rebuild...
I didn't pull the damper disc - started to, but had trouble with the disc spinning which made it hard/impossible to get the bolts loose... as he hadn't said to send him the damper disc, too, I gave up. (tips on removing the damper disc would be appreciated)
When I called Rick this morning to let him know my trans was on the way, he said I should inspect the damper disc for loose or damaged springs (less likely) or a loose spline part (more likely?). Of course, I'm an hour away from the boat... anyone know what the symptoms would be of a loose spline part or damaged springs on the damper disc? Other damper disc damage symptoms? I'm wondering if the symptoms of any damper disc issues match the problems I've had - making it more likely I should head back to the boat to inspect/remove/ship disc to Rick as well...
Other related commentary/ideas welcome...

-Alec
AMcC

Re: Damper Disc issues - Symptoms?

Post by AMcC »

OK - I checked my damper disc - everything looks good. No looseness in the spline part, springs look OK - not broken, not loose in housings. Should get my trans back in the next week+ and will reinstall!
-Alec