When to patch vs fill a hole?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JD-MDR

Re: When to patch vs fill a hole?

Post by JD-MDR »

FarReachvoyages has detailed instruction on repairs like these. I think you can reduce the bevel about50%by doing half inside and half outside.Hilbert has also posted tons of instruction on glass work. I was so dumb two years ago I bought a compass and installed it like the photo then left San Francisco for So Ca. The compass seemed OK till I got out of the Bay and it kept spinning and spinning. Sometimes It seemed alright . We Had a hard time getting through the fog and weather but made it. Now I moved the instrument panel inside and disconnected the knot meter . The sounder doesn't seem to be affecting it. I think I will finish the job now I have time I will move the sounder to the other side and put the compass up in that hole then I will glass it up. I will post photos soon. The knot log goes in the trash. I had the yard remove that whirlybird thing on the keel. I trust they patched that hole right. I see they did some on the interior and some on the exterior
Also I've had the instrument panel inside now for about two years and I wouldn't have it any other way. Here is a photo of where I put the panel. The harness reached over easily . Maybe I will fix it nice . Now that I have my chainplates done I can do some of the lower priority things
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

JD-MDR wrote:FarReachvoyages has detailed instruction on repairs like these. I think you can reduce the bevel about50%by doing half inside and half outside.Hilbert has also posted tons of instruction on glass work.
That's the ticket! Thanks!

I should have known to check FarReachVoyages.com--John has already fixed about everything there is to fix on a Cape Dory. But I found the solution on a link his web page mentioned: a West Systems technical bulletin called Repairing Machined Holes in Fiberglass Boats. Unfortunately, that web link on John's web page is broken, and I could no longer find it by searching West System's web site, but I was able to find a copy here:

https://manualzz.com/doc/9894896/ew21-practical

and a downloadable copy here:

http://www.olajedatos.com/documentos/re ... _fibra.pdf

West System's document covers lots of different scenarios. I think mine is closest to Example 3, a 1" hole in a cockpit seat. In summary, it says to put a single layer fiberglass backer on the inside, chamfer the outer edge about 1/4" back, and fill with thickened epoxy.

Thanks to all for your help!

Jim

[Edited to add the second link to a downloadable copy of the PDF.]
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Great! Thanks for sharing that
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510