Bilge Pump and Gel Coat Crazing in a CD 30 MK2

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

pvisich

Bilge Pump and Gel Coat Crazing in a CD 30 MK2

Post by pvisich »

So looking to purchase a 1989 CD 30 MK2 that is in need of some tender loving care, but did notice a couple things I would appreciate your thoughts on. One surprisingly, I did not find a bilge pump in the deep keel and wondered if anyone had any suggestions on putting a bilge in this boat. It has been suggested that I should put the bilge pump on a stick. Secondly, I will be dealing with some gel coat crazing that I would like to learn to do on my own Vs paying the large marine fees and wondered if anyone had any suggestions. I am thinking of using a dremel to open up the cracks, then need to figure out what is the best way to fill them.
Thanks in advance. Paul
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Re: Bilge Pump and Gel Coat Crazing in a CD 30 MK2

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi Paul:
One of the great things about this website is that it's more than likely another Cape Dory owner has encountered your problem and come up with an effective solution. All you need to do is use the "Search" function above. Try a search on "stress cracks" and you'll fine tons of great advice on how to solve your problem.

Similarly, you'll get great advice on bilge pumps when you search that subject!

Good Luck,

Tony Jeske
pvisich

Post by pvisich »

Thanks Tony!
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Paul, I agree that it is worth a search on both issues. Quick answer in my opinion is yes to a bilge pump. A boat this size should have an electric and a manual one - with pump handle access near the helm. She should already have the needed through hulls already. For the gel coat, know that CD's are famous for having thicker than average layers of gel coat on their hulls and decks, you'll probably find that in a search. This means we usually get more 'crazing' as gel coat flexes less than fiberglass layers proper. While they are common, most are not serious enough to admit moisture to the deck layers. Also, when cleaning and widening them to fill, our decks can generally handle a little wider V. I would do a general web search on filling gel coat cracks to find a few videos on the subject. Most tedious thing to me about this job is mixing the gel coat colors to match the deck color. Some folks here on the board have had some good recipes to get started but you gotta 'mix your own'!

Good luck with your projects, the 30 is a worthy boat to restore and was featured somewhat recently in Good Old Boat.
Paul
CDSOA Member
pvisich

Post by pvisich »

Thanks Paul for your comments. I have installed an automatic bilge pump on a plexiglass stick that I have the ability to disconnect and bring up from the deep keel if needed. The gel coat crazing will be a project over time but think it is well worth it. Look forward to sailing this boat in the spring but lots to learn! Take care, Paul
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

I had Hull #1 for 13 years. It was a great boat and I still miss it today. Certainly worth bringing up to Bristol condition. I eventually outgrew and out aged it. I now have a Cat which provides me the additional room and rides nice and flat. That's something my ancient back and knees appreciate.

During the time with the Mk II I made substantial improvements and if you want to discuss the boat or have questions, just drop me a P.M. I might still have some parts left over in the garage.

Boyd - Former CD30 mkII owner
Cat-A-Tonic
34' Prout Catamaran
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
pvisich

Post by pvisich »

Thanks Boyd. I am trying to get a bunch of things done on it to have her ready for the spring, I had the boat yard do a number of things to bring it up to working order since she was on the hard for three years. Do you know if CD put out a users manual for this boat? I need to figure out some of the running rigging still? Appreciate you reaching out, look forward to sailing her in the spring. Take care, Paul
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

Yes they did have a manual. I believe its downloadable on this site. BTW I have pictures of Tern taken right before I sold her.

Boyd
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

pvisich wrote:Thanks Boyd. I am trying to get a bunch of things done on it to have her ready for the spring, I had the boat yard do a number of things to bring it up to working order since she was on the hard for three years. Do you know if CD put out a users manual for this boat? I need to figure out some of the running rigging still? Appreciate you reaching out, look forward to sailing her in the spring. Take care, Paul
http://www.capedory.org/specs/cd30mkii.htm

Hyperlink to the partial users manual. It’s a 14 page download with helpful schematics.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
pvisich

Post by pvisich »

Thanks for forwarding!