Chattanooga sailing

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

csoule13

Chattanooga sailing

Post by csoule13 »

Looks like I'll be relocating from the Chesapeake to Chattanooga sometime this winter. I see there are a few marinas on Chickamauga Lake, including a few sailing clubs. I have a CD27, and would be very interested in any first hand knowledge of sailing on the lake. I fully understand that it ain't the Chesapeake, but I sure as hell don't want to have to sell or mothball a boat that I'm just getting comfortable with. More than willing to listen to other suggestions within a 90 minute drive of the town.

For now the plan is to leave it covered in the water for the winter at the current marina and once settled have it shipped down. Likely replace the standing rigging at the same time since who knows how much effort it'll take to get the turnbuckles loose.

Thanks all,
Chris

P.S.
If this should be in a different forum, please let me know and I'll move it.
RC James

Re: Chattanooga sailing

Post by RC James »

Chris-
I lived in Chattanooga '85-'89.
Like you, I'd spent lots of time on the ChesBay, and, at the time, had a trailerable DaySailer (BostonWhaler Harpoon4.6).

Lake Chickamauga is a beautifully long but comparatively narrow dammed river that runs N-ward and is surrounded by hills/small mountains and corresponding gullies/lower areas.

Winds in the ChickamaugaDam area are very light, until you clear the hills and enter the 'gully' where it becomes 'all hands on deck' for a short 100yds, and then back into the hill-covered area, where it's light air again. The CD27 will no doubt handle the gusts more predictably than a planing sailboat, but progress may be painfully slow (think Aug doldrums on ChesBay) for most of the day. Still, a beautiful place to sail, anchor, fish. You can get very close to the shoreline and still have 10-20' of water under the keel.

You will become a very experienced light-air sailor while in the CHA area, but the beauty of the place will take your breath away. Water is deep, and I do remember a few small marinas off of Rte158. and know that there used to be a marina (mostly houseboats) at the PublicRamp just N of the dam. I was looking for a larger sailboat at the time, but knew we'd be back East later and decided to wait for the 'bigger boat'.

Waters are deep and clear, folks are friendly, and most of the other boat traffic is Hi-SpeedBassBoats launched from CHROMED (yes, true) trailers, PWC's and houseboats.

Just a note... if you keep the boat in the Lake, be sure to ask about SUMMER water and WINTER water. The lake is HIGH in the summer, but during the late fall, TennValleyAuthority opens the dams and let's water out (some waterfront lots become mud- and the lake falls correspondingly) to prepare for the Winter Melt and Spring RainStorms.

RC---- it was a long time ago, and that's about all I remember, except the number of AllYouCanEat places. :oops:
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

Much appreciated RC. We visited Privateers Yacht Club in May, and the view from their deck is unspeakably gorgeous. Just frustrating to know that the place we think will suit us best in the upcoming move doesn't provide the sailing options the Bay does. On the other hand, finding weather windows to sail around here the past two years hasn't been a picnic.

Best wishes,
Chris
DougPowell

Post by DougPowell »

We currently have a recently purchased CD22 on Lake Chickamauga lake near Chattanooga and will eventfully move it down river to Guntersville lake closer to out home. The boat is at The Big Ridge Yacht Club and we would not recommend it. The floating dock is coming apart although some repairs are being done.
Our area of the marina (the cheap seats) are exposed to the main channel near where the cabin crushers pass by making maximum wake.
The area around Chattanooga is beautiful and I'm sure you will enjoy it. Doug SV Carina
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

DougPowell wrote:We currently have a recently purchased CD22 on Lake Chickamauga lake near Chattanooga and will eventfully move it down river to Guntersville lake closer to out home. The boat is at The Big Ridge Yacht Club and we would not recommend it. The floating dock is coming apart although some repairs are being done.
Our area of the marina (the cheap seats) are exposed to the main channel near where the cabin crushers pass by making maximum wake.
The area around Chattanooga is beautiful and I'm sure you will enjoy it. Doug SV Carina
Thanks Doug. Privateers Yacht Club seemed really nice, and they recently rebuilt their main building. Guntersville Lake looks promising, but man, that's a drive from Chatt. Sounds like S/v Gabrielle is going to need a drifter, but I'm generally ok with mild days on the water. Thought the upper teens gusting low 20s last week here on the Chesapeake was a hell of a thrill.