Mantis anchor

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Brimag

Mantis anchor

Post by Brimag »

Hello, am going to purchase a Mantis anchor. I have done some research and have chosen it over Rockna. Anyone use this anchor? Thanks Brian M
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Re: Mantis anchor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

I have 35lb Rocna and would be interested in hearing your thoughts on how you made your choice.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Brimag wrote:Hello, am going to purchase a Mantis anchor. I have done some research and have chosen it over Rockna. Anyone use this anchor? Thanks Brian M
My bower is a 35# Spade and my kedge is a 25# Mantus. In my experience the Mantus has set immediately and has never failed to reset, without further attention, with a tide change or wind shift. It has held me in winds to 32 knots in southern New England. As with any anchor, chain is the key to its success, and you should use as much as you can comfortably handle.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Post by sgbernd »

My buddy-boat partner on a 28ft Hunter purchased a 25# one a couple of years ago. Based on his experience, and my observations of his use, I am planning to purchase one to replace my Lewmar Claw. We both use the Fortress as well.

The Mantus sets fast and always sets in the So. Cal bottoms. In fact, I've not seen it fail to set first try, though I am sure that will happen eventually. While the Mantus doesn't hold like the Fortress, the Mantus is superior at always setting in the rock/sand/weed common here and seems to reset reliably when the wind changes direction.

Based on his experience and my observation of it, I think the Mantus is an excellent choice, at least for the bottoms we deal with here. If you work in sand or mud, I might choose something else.

Steve Bernd
Tod Mills

Post by Tod Mills »

There is a lengthy discussion here, and page 3 has some interesting photos: (note this is page 3) http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.ph ... ocna/page3

It looks as though the Mantus has a pointier fluke and, from my measurements, about 4 degrees steeper fluke angle relative to the underside of the shank, 20 deg vs 16 deg. The Mantus has a considerably larger "roll bar" radius. The Mantus has a lighter (thinner) fluke tip (the Rocna is doubled up at the tip).

Whether all those differences add up to material performance differences, I don't know.
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
Brimag

Post by Brimag »

Thanks. I am getting it tomorrow and using it the next day. Will report back soon
Brimag

Post by Brimag »

Used today, gusting to 25 and shifty. Did not budge and normal retrieval in mud and rock bottom.Very happy!!!(so far)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

One on the bow and one on the stern ready to deploy in a seconds notice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Is that the original bow plate/stem casting on your boat ? My 27 has something that looks similar but has a lip that wraps around the front preventing sneaking a bow roller through like you have ... I wonder if I could just grind the lip on my casting down ?

I'm sure the Mantis is a fine anchor - at least the equal of the Rocna, and can be disassembled... they have some cleaver products.

I have a Rocna 10 (kg) and a Fortress FX 11. Both set quickly * in the muddy sand (generally) of Narragansett Bay. I've not been in enough wind to truly test either.

* by "quickly" I mean that I never perceive that either has not already set as soon as I apply tension, either by hand, or backing down.

The light weight of the Fortress (7 lb) makes it very easy to handle. The last time I put it out it came up with a baseball size clump of mussels and rock jammed between the flukes and the shank. It's easy to see that if in a reset (due to current or wind) the Fortress flipped, that ball of shell would not allow the flukes to drop/reverse and penetrate, and you would be adrift. I think that is what makes folks nervous about using it as a bower anchor. Heavy grass or just a small little rock could do the same thing. At the same time, I've used the Fortress a few times now overnight with both current and tidal shifts and by morning its really buried and my greatest worry is being able to break it out of the muck (no windlass) and I have not drifted at all best I can tell. The Rocna has been the same.

I'll keep both.

Fred

"Jerezana" CD 27 #204
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Tim,

... could you provide a closer shot of your roller setup ?

thanks

Fred
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay