Anderson 12 ST for 25D or 27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Anderson 12 ST for 25D or 27

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

How many board members have replaced their winches with Anderson ST? Has it made a real difference? And exactly what are the differences. Any probs with installation? I am thinking about going in this direction.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
steveg

Re: Anderson 12 ST for 25D or 27

Post by steveg »

Hi Dick,

I replaced mine, not with Anderson, but with some used Barient 17's. They are much better. Not only do they handle the tailing, but they had a mechanical advantage, as in gears, as well. The original winches on the 25D rotated the drum once with one revolution of the handle. The Barients are 2.3 rotations of the handle to one rotation of the drum. It would have been worth the upgrade just for the tailing. The additional power was a bonus. The only real disadvantage as far as I can see is the fact that with regular winches you just pull the sheet straight up to remove it when tacking and the self tailer needs to have the sheet swung a bit to remove it so it does not catch on the feeder arm. Overall a great upgrade. The used winches were not too bad on the boat units either. There is also an outfit in Australia that makes nice winches, Hutton I believe is the name. They are worth checking out if you are shopping.

No problem with the installation, although it was necessary to remove the bases and drill new mounting holes as the bolt patterns were not the same.

If you have any questions let me know and I will try to address them.
Last edited by steveg on Aug 1st, '19, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?
Brimag

Post by Brimag »

Hello, I upgraded to Lewmar EVO 15 selftailing winches. No problem mounting on Typhoon Senior. Selftailing is the way to go! . There are several styles offered by different companies.... not cheap but worth the investment,. BMag
Ben Thomas

Post by Ben Thomas »

I replaced all winch's with Andersen's several years ago when I was in a different tax bracket ;). 40st for the head sails 12st two speed for main halyard and 10s for the rest. could not be happier with their performance. expensive but well worth it. maintenance is easy.
cheers.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Dick:

I know you asked about Anderson winches, however, I installed Lewmar 16 ST bronze winches on the recommendation of several CD 25D caretakers (owners). I have been very happy with them.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

I put Anderson winches on my old Cal 27 and miss them. No worries about chrome plating wearing away
plus they were reliable and attractive. I've had the Lewmar chrome-plated bronze winches on my CD33
re-plated but five years later they're already showing pits. I would opt for the SS Andersons or unplated
bronze. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

I put 15ST EVOs on my 27. They fit right on the existing Spartan winch pedestals with some minor drilling necessary. But they are taller than the non tailing winches they replaced - and I had to raise my lower lifelines in order for the winch handle to clear. Not a big problem really. With 10" handles they have just enough power for me. I think there are quite a few choices that are just fine. Andersons are certainly very fine winches, probably a cut above the Lewmar EVO line ...

The jump in power from the non tailing 8s to these 15s was actually not as dramatic as I had hoped, but when coupled with the self tailing ability, you end up with a significant upgrade in ease of boat handling. I would say in terms of single handing features, it's #2 ... right behind #1 ... some kind of autopilot.

I actually have grown to like the look of the dark grey aluminum of the EVOs, at least on my boat, which is non-trad now with her red topsides. They are actually considered to be "black" by Lewmar, but they really are just a very dark grey. They also have a lighter grey (which I don't like) and a chrome version. EVOs are super easy to clean and lube.

https://www.lewmar.com/node/11550

Fred

you can see them pretty clearly in this splash day shot from last summer ...

cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay