Wanted: CD 14 Kick-up rudder bracket

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
danweeks

Wanted: CD 14 Kick-up rudder bracket

Post by danweeks »

Mine has been at the bottom of Portland Harbor since 1985. I'd love to find another one, a pattern from which I could have another one made, or ideas for alternatives that would allow my rudder to kick up. Would even buy a whole boat (cheap and in need of restoration) to get said bracket. (I wouldn't trash the boat--I'd restore it for my grandkids and sail it when a kick-up rudder isn't necessary). Thanks for any leads or ideas. Have trailer, will travel!

Dan Weeks
CD 14 hull #54, original owner
Alan Stewart

Re: Wanted: CD 14 Kick-up rudder bracket

Post by Alan Stewart »

Hey Dan, I think I can help you with both issues if you want to get in touch with me, (assuming that is, that you’re in ME and not OR!) :wink:
plumber

Post by plumber »

Hi guys,
I have been looking for one of these elusive parts for my 14 for some 10 years. Have not been able to find one so now I'm looking for someone who has one (oem) to take some pics and e-mail them to me so I can make it myself. I do sail this boat and have made a pop out for the rudder in case of grounding but it proves to be a problem if your not rite there to catch the rudder. Have had to chase it . If its possible to get pics it would be most helpful.
Thank you
Brace Tallents
Alan Stewart

Post by Alan Stewart »

Happy to oblige Bruce, my CD14 is “snowed-in” up in Maine presently, but as soon as I can get back up there I’ll be happy to provide you with photos - it won’t be too long a wait (certainly not 10 years!), most likely sometime next month... Shoot me your contact info and I’ll text you pics later on. Cheers!
plumber

Post by plumber »

Thank you so much. My e-mail is feasters54@gmail.com. You can also send them to my phone @ 315-532-0646 .
Brace Tallents
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

It's probably not a good idea to put your full contact information out there for the world to see. Not everyone on this Board has good intent. You never know where the bots are lurking.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

"I do sail this boat and have made a pop out for the rudder in case of grounding but it proves to be a problem if your not rite there to catch the rudder. Have had to chase it."

A lanyard on the rudder would solve this.

I have had two CD-14s. One had simple pintels and the other had a rather clumsy recreation of the original kick up bracket. I got rid of the kick up and went to pintles on the second one. That original bracket is quite a marvel of engineering. It seems like a rather complex solution to a fairly simple problem. I even passed on one at our local consignment shop but did notify the board that it was available at the time.

I guess a lot would depend on where and how you sail your boat, Steve.
gweinstein56

Post by gweinstein56 »

I recently bought a CD 14. It is missing the kick up rudder bracket. I'm looking replace it. Any thoughts? Plan "B" is to fabricate something- drawings would be appreciated. Plan "C" is to install gudgeons into the transom and to modify the rudder. All thoughts welcome.

Regards,

Gary
Falmouth, ME