Dorade box vents need replacing

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Maine Moke

Dorade box vents need replacing

Post by Maine Moke »

The rubber vents on my Dorade boxes need replacing. They are the original with the bottom ring made of bronze. Spartan Marine does not carry this. Anyone have any idea where to find replacement. I am guessing that if I could find the rubber part of the vent I could glue it to the bronze ring.

Thanks, :D

David
s/v Irie, CD36
Biddeford, Maine
MaineMoke
CD36 Irie
Biddeford, Maine
Maine Moke

Re: Dorade box vents need replacing

Post by Maine Moke »

I forgot to attach a picture in case you are wondering what it looks like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaineMoke
CD36 Irie
Biddeford, Maine
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

I've had luck cleaning pvc vents and fenders with automotive rubbing compound - or in milder cases,
soft scrub. A coat of wax helps to keep them clean. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Maine Moke wrote:The rubber vents on my Dorade boxes need replacing. They are the original with the bottom ring made of bronze. Spartan Marine does not carry this. Anyone have any idea where to find replacement. I am guessing that if I could find the rubber part of the vent I could glue it to the bronze ring.

Thanks, :D

David
s/v Irie, CD36
Biddeford, Maine
A year ago there was a CDSOA event held at Robinhood where we had the opportunity to purchase numerous CD related items which have accumulated over the years. I saw two of those Nico Marine cowls among the items displayed. Both were “new old stock”. I suggest you call and see if they might still be available.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Danicic

Post by John Danicic »

You can clean them with good scrubbing using lacquer thinner from the hardware store. Use a clean rag and keep it moist with the thinner. Rub away the black. I found you can get most of the black off that way. Try that first before you ditch them.

Sail on

John Danicic

CD36 - Mariah- #124
Lake Superior- The Apostle Islands
CDSOA #655
Cape Dory Picture Posts
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Raven was blessed with a bronze cowl on the dorade box when I bought her, so no problem there. She does have the rubber cowls at the stern. When they start to look a bit ratty, I wash them, and give them a light sanding, then paint them. I use a rattle can of Rustolium 2X which is formulated to work on plastic. I use the semi gloss white. They also make a bronze color which might work if you want to imitate a bronze vent. The first step would be cleaning so you could see if you are satisfied with that and then sand and paint if you please. Those rubber vents tend to get nasty in time but they seem to hold up forever. I have painted mine a couple of times and they show no signs of chipping or cracking, Steve.
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Post by sgbernd »

It appears you have a bronze base with a Nicro plastic funnel. I suspect the previous owner lost the original bronze funnel so replaced it with the the less expensive PVC. These clean up pretty well with acetone and then you can make them last a bit longer with AmourAll or as others have mentioned, car wax. Acetone takes off the top layer of the plastic and most of the stain, mildew, and grime with it. Defender still shows these as available should you wish to replace it. I've lost a couple of these over the years by being fouled in the sheets and getting tossed overboard, carried off by a boarding wave, etc. so now I only place them while in port if I feel the need and insert the removeable plate while underway.

-Steve Bernd
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

We knocked off a vinyl one bending on sails a couple years ago. Put on a nice chromed bronze one and haven't looked back! (It was a great excuse to spend some glitter money instead of infrastructure that no one sees)
Jeff