Is this a Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

capedory28

Re: Is this a Typhoon

Post by capedory28 »

Last two. Thanks for you help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I am going to guess Typhoon Daysailor with Cuddy Cabin that is in need of a LOT of TLC.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
sloopjohnl

Post by sloopjohnl »

now that's a real piece of Cape Dory history!
sloopjohnl

Post by sloopjohnl »

There was one like this in our marina many years ago. it sat on the bottom for two days when the owners sister let the hose he had rigged for draining the bilge back siphon into the boat. he had it raised and cleaned up promptly but then it disappeared a few years later. the wood on the companionway is a dead giveaway as well as all the hardware and their locations.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

I'm still not convinced... The keel-stepped mast is the opposite of both of the Typhoons I've owned, but mine where mid-70s versions. A few other details also make me question the blood line... Maybe this is a Victoria 18 which was quite similar to a Typhoon but lighter. The companionway looks more "weekender" that daysailor, hence my suggestion of the Victoria 18.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Interlude

Post by Interlude »

Looks like an early Naugus typhoon - we have #22 in a daysailer model. It took a major overhaul to bring here back to life. Search this board for ”Naugus Typhoon” and you’ll see photos of an couple boats as well as the history. Naugus built the first ~40 Alberg typhoons from 1962-63 and went bankrupt - cape dory took over in 1967-68. Here are a few of the key differences

- chainplates are bulkhead mounted - fore and aft are completely separate vs the little u-mount through bolted on the deck
- builder plate is rectangular and fits over the rudder stem in the cockpit
- mast is tapered at top and stepped on cabin sole
- both daysailer and weekender are fractional rigged
- stern deck is longer (fore/aft) so the rudder post comes up under it
- bow chauks are separate - not a single piece of bronze with the forestay chainplate
- all the stringers are marine plywood as is the cabin sole - you will likely have to replace it all...
- no flotation foam or fiberglass airtight spaces.

Basically CD made lots of refinements to reduce production costs and simplify the build out.

Great boat - hull should be rock solid - likely you will need to repair the rudder - it appears new the old Naugus boats had a 3 piece wood rudder - there are sketches online - google search.

She is an Alberg Typhoon, she is not a Cape Dory Typhoon - same boat different manufacturer.
Here’s a before and after post of our Naugus Typhoon - http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... us+typhoon

-Mark
Mark Lay

INTERLUDE
Naugus Alberg Typhoon #22 (1964)
Irvington, Virginia
capedory28

Post by capedory28 »

Thank you Mark for your information, it is a big help.
Interlude

Post by Interlude »

Here are some photos of First Ty (#39) - she is also a Naugus Alberg typhoon and sails out of Irvington Va where we have INTERLUDE (#22).
Mark Lay

INTERLUDE
Irvington, Virginia
Interlude

Post by Interlude »

Here’s an early CD Typhoon brochure - many of the Naugus features are still present here. Also a photo of an early TY similar to the advertised model. CD Typhoons changed significantly once CD moved to the fiberglass liner which incorporated the cockpit seats, sole, etc.
Mark Lay

INTERLUDE
Irvington, Virginia
Alan Stewart

Post by Alan Stewart »

What you describe sounds identical to the hull #6 Naugus Typhoon that I owned and is currently located in Portsmouth, NH. I’ve always referred to it as a sort of Typhoon prototype because it shared many features with more recent Cape Dory versions, while other aspects were later abandoned...
The Naugus Typhoons had a 3” x 5” builders plaque affixed to the rear cockpit bulkhead that listed the hull # and boatyards location. The forward cockpit bulkhead is made of plywood, not fiberglass, the sliding companionway hatch cover is also wooden and flat, not curved. The cockpit seats are slatted teak, as is the grate in the cockpit sole.
IMHO the nicest feature was the storage shelf above the rudder post - perfect for keeping all manner of gear handy and within reach, such as docklines, charts, binocs, life jackets, etc. The biggest downsides were the non-selfbailing cockpit which made a cockpit boom tent or elec. bulge pump de rigeur, as well as the keel-stepped mast, which definitely required two able-bodied types to manhandle into it’s position, but once there, would stand freely while shrouds & stays are rigged.
This Typhoon seems to have “morphed” into the Cape Dory D/S “Cuddy” version, which also has a keel-stepped mast, full open cockpit w/similar wooden seating and deep non-self-bailing cockpit. Both versions are also masthead-rigged as opposed to the 7/8’s fractional headsail on the Cape Dory Weekender.
DAVIDPERRY

Post by DAVIDPERRY »

This is a Typhoon, and is probably a Cape Dory. Naugus Boat Company built the Typhoon previous to Cape Dory, but this appears to be a CD. The owner might be right about 1968. The first Cape Dory Ty's had an open cockpit like this one has. The freeboard was raised and a self-bailing cockpit was designed about 1970.
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

It sure looks like an early Typhoon - check under the aft quarter for a sign that u=indicates the date of manufacture - usually fiberglassed into the gelcoat either on the inside of the hull or on the interior liner (if any) . No HIN because this boat was made before it was required. You could have a real collector's item here! Needs a lot of cosmetic work, check out the wood knees where the shrouds are attached - to make sure they aren't water soaked (seems to be a little water staining inside). Just imaging it after all the wood has been cleaned and varnished, new laminated tiller and appropriate rigging. Also, do NOT polish the bronze fittings - they look better (more salty) with the protective green tarnish. Good liuck with the restoration - wish I saw it first!!!!!