CD27 - Adding additional jib track lengths

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

csoule13

CD27 - Adding additional jib track lengths

Post by csoule13 »

Had a wonderful day with a captain from the local sailing school working on sail trim. One observation was that we couldn't trim the genoa as perfectly as possible because we ran out of track to slide the leads forward. My genoa is a 135, so not only did we run out of real estate for having the full sail out, we'd have been SOL when reefing.

He suggested getting an additional length installed. How hard of a project is this? Is the track just screwed into the toe rail, or through bolted? I suppose a similar solution would be to simply relocate the existing track forward, but the same question would remain.

If nothing else, it was great to see exactly how much better the 27 would point with a truly well trimmed headsail. And also, just how far away from close enough my previous "close enough" actually was. Money and time well spent today for sure.
Steve Laume

Re: CD27 - Adding additional jib track lengths

Post by Steve Laume »

Raven has long jib tracks. They run from a couple of feet forward of the stern to the midship cleats. I changed them out years ago as I had not been satisfied with the length of the originals.

They are definitely, through bolted, as they should be. The bolts Cape Dory used are extra long, as they usually are. Do this job before you get any older as it requires a lot of contortion into tight spaces. The bolts in the lockers were pretty easy to get at, once you were in the locker. The hardest ones were in and around the interior joinery.

I used the original holes to get started. I then drilled the new holes by inserting bolts into the the existing holes and bending the track, drilling holes and inserting bolts as I went along. Once all the holes were drilled, I removed the track, caulked everything up and took on the task of adding the nuts and bolting them down. The final installation is a two person job. I was able to get all the old fasteners lose with a combination of deep sockets, box wrenches and vice grips. The second person is required to hold a screw driver on deck while you struggle with getting the nuts tightened up, down below. Do yourself a favor and get all new Phillips head fasteners, once you figure out how long they should be.

I am extremely happy with the long tracks. Not only do they allow you more range for sail trim but they are also useful for track mounted cleats, some tie down loops and my boarding ladder.

I wish I had someone, that really knows sail trim to go out with me and teach me the finer points of sail trim, Steve.
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

Steve - the biggest takeaway for me was just much of a difference the jib leads made. I just always left them where the PO had them. Figured he knew the boat well enough after 10 years. Was never able to point particularly well. We fiddled around tacking a few times, and ended with the leads full forward. We gained a noticeable improvement in speed and pointing. I never realized how performance we were giving up having the top of the genoa open and/or the foot so tight.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on the project. Sounds like a joy, and something to wait until I can really plan this out. There are shorter term, more fun things to putter on for now.
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

I wish I had someone, that really knows sail trim to go out with me and teach me the finer points of sail trim, Steve.[/quote]

Tell me about it. I'm having so much trouble getting my new windvane to work. They say that the sails have to be balanced. I think I can do that but I still can't get it to work. It seem like it wants to steer but I think something is not right inside the tube, I did take the tower tube apart because I got the double stick on one of the backer plates stuck while I was pulling it thru. I will take it apart again but I'm so afraid of dropping something in the water. I might float a plastic tarp underneath when I work on it
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I too thought I'd need someone who really knew sail trim to help me out. I felt I had a mental block because no matter how much I read and "studied" sail trim, I just couldn't learn it. I'm no dope so it bothered me a lot!!

Then I thought about other times I found myself in a similar situation. And lo and behold, the cause of my "apparent density" was the same. I got out a few of the articles on sail trim that I've read over the years and compared them side by side, and by and large the advice given for how to trim in particular wind situations VARIED from article to article. Sometimes the recommendations varied quite a bit!! No wonder I was confused!!

How could that be (I asked myself rhetorically!!!) These were reputable "experts" in the sailing world and yet they often varied in recommendation!!

All I can say is that no two boats are the same and what may work well on one sailboat design might not work as well as another technique on a very different boat.

Over the years I just did "trial and error" on Sine Qua Non ( CD27) using the different techniques recommended and I learned which ones worked, or didn't work, on my boat. It took some time because I could go for weeks without finding particular sailing conditions I needed to check out.

I suggest you all become "familiar" with the varying recommendations and then check them out yourselves for your UNIQUE boat. I've seen some boats where the jib tracks were actually marked as the proper setting for particular conditions. You have to figure it out for yourself and "fine tune" these recommendations for your particular boat. There are no short cuts (really!!)
Last edited by Warren Kaplan on Jun 10th, '19, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

Warren Kaplan wrote:I suggest you all become "familiar" with the varying recommendations and then check them out yourselves for your UNIQUE boat. I've seen some boats where the jib tracks were actually marked as the proper setting for particular conditions. You have to figure it out for yourself and "fine tune" these recommendations for your particular boat. There are no short cuts (really!!)
I mean, paying someone who knows this stuff to come out and not just help fine tune things, but explain the what and why is a short cut. But it does fall under the exchanging money for skill bucket, which isn't always an option for folks. But this was $300 and 6 hrs of time well spent, and I haven't even gotten into the hour of close quarters work on docking, turning, etc. work. Those in the general area, Capt Jeff at The Sailing Academy at Herrington Harbor comes highly recommended.

To bring this all back - your jib leads, might be more important than you thought, and the PO might not have left things in their optimum setup. And your boat might not have been built to trim to an ideal state(which simply never crossed my mind).
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

I don't really do alot of reading on how to sail . Most of my experience is with motor boats. I have been teaching myself to sail. I get confused with the lingo. I assume balanced sails is when you can get the boat going in the direction you want with minimum effort on the tiller or wheel. It seem easier when the wind is blowing. I have more problem in light winds. I think I use the motor too much. I noticed some guys go faster than me sailing even when I am motoring. As long as I'm enjoying myself that's the main thing
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

JD-MDR wrote: I assume balanced sails is when you can get the boat going in the direction you want with minimum effort on the tiller or wheel. It seem easier when the wind is blowing. I have more problem in light winds. I think I use the motor too much. I noticed some guys go faster than me sailing even when I am motoring. As long as I'm enjoying myself that's the main thing
It's not always the amount of pressure, but the amount of distance... If you have to pull or push the tiller more than 5 to 10 degrees, you aren't "in balance" when sailing to windward. I like to get KAYLA balanced and attach a sailtie to the tiller and the windward cleat. Gives a chance to walk around and even do some minor course changes just by shifting my weight.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

As one of the few brand-Xers on this Board, I totally agree with Warren. Every boat is different. I sailed Cape Dorys for years until my current boat. This boat has more sail controls than I have ever had, and it has made me a much better technical sailor. I still wish I had longer jib tracks. It's amazing how much better you can point with a flexible mast and cranking down on the backstay, which flattens the genoa. As much as I miss my Cape Dorys, I really like sailing fast. For the time being, I'm okay compromising range for speed. Incidentally, new sails make a huge difference.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton