In search of a Cape Dory 27 roller furler system

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Johnd

In search of a Cape Dory 27 roller furler system

Post by Johnd »

I am in search of a type 1 sized roller furler system. I have complete type 0 system I could trade.

Or just buy. Any ideas? The 0 sized furler seems to be undersized? for the Chesapeake Bay...

Thanks John d
Cape Dory 27
Godspeed

Deale, MD
Godspeed 27
Chesapeake Bay
CDSOA member # 1325
Doug Gibson
'87 CD36 #147
SF Bay, CA

Re: In search of a Cape Dory 27 roller furler system

Post by Doug Gibson »

Unit size is determined by stay diameter and clevis pin size.

Harken ESP Unit 0 allows stay size of 5/32 or 3/16 and clevis pin of 5/16" or 3/8"

Harken ESP Unit 1 allows stay size of 7/32 up to 5/16 and clevis pin of 7/16" or 1/2"

Not sure what you have on CD 27. I just installed a Unit 1 on staysail of my CD 36. I had to change out the chainplate fitting to accommodate a larger clevis pin size (from 3/8 to 1/2).

Unit 0 is probably at its upper range with the CD 27, but using Unit 1 may required you to replace some other hardware or a larger stay wire size.

The best price I found on-line for the Harken Unit 1 ESP was at binnacle.com in Canada. Their price of unit 01 with leg kit was hundreds lower than any on-line retailer in the states... even with some extra shipping cost.
Doug Gibson
Nebe

Re: In search of a Cape Dory 27 roller furler system

Post by Nebe »

I installed an ALado on my CD27 before I sold it and absolutely loved it. When I bought my Columbia 31 last fall, the first thing I did was install the same one on her. They are so simple to install and theres no moving parts to spit ball bearings or jam.