CD 25 smooth running engine options

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Ferryworker

CD 25 smooth running engine options

Post by Ferryworker »

I have a 6 hp Tohatsu, I find pretty loud and rough. Will the 8hp Tohatsu fit? Even an older model might be an option.
Carl Thunberg

Re: CD 25 smooth running engine options

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Welcome to the Board! I hate to see a post go un-answered for 4 days. I think the lack of response may be because you posted this in the Buy/Sell forum. Try posting the same question in the Cape Dorys forum. That is the main discussion forum. That said, I'll take a stab at it. Unfortunately, you're up against an acoustical chamber created by the engine in a well. You gain a clean transom, but you trade it for noise. My former CD25 was loud, too. It makes you highly motivated to cut the engine and sail. 8HP is a lot of horses for a CD25. It won't make you go any faster, and the added weight will make you squat in the water.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

Greetings,

In your situation do you require the full 6 HP? I don't own one but the reviews on the electric torqueedos have been good. That will get you the quiet but with limited range and power. Also will take a chunk out of your wallet.

I have the same Tohatsu as you, yes it is noisy. It is in a Sea Sprite 23 not quite as enclosed as your CD but I shut it off as soon as I can.

Yours, Walter
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

I concur with Walter regarding an electric motor... If you really want quiet but still have to motor in/out of slip or mooring, it'll be the quietest option and the lightest!
On my last CD25 I had a Nissn/Tohatsu 6hp but it spent far more time time on the cabin sole than in the well. Mostly because the marina had brackish water and I could generally sail in and out of my slip.
That was over 17 years ago... long before quality/strong electrics were available... if I was doing it again, I'd go electric.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Ferryworker

Post by Ferryworker »

Thanks for the replies guys. I do require all the power i can get. I live on Deer Island New Brunswick Canada, we have a tremendous amount of tide in among the islands. I think a multi cylinder would be smother, but there is always the space consideration.
casampson

Post by casampson »

I too own a CD 25 with a 6 HP Tohatsu Sailpro motor. I found it extremely annoying at first, but the motor runs forever on very little gas and performs very well, so eventually I came to appreciate it. Overall it is an excellent choice. I usually run it with the lazarette cover open so that I can access the controls, but I ran it with the cover closed once and was surprised at how much quieter it was.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

"I do require all the power i can get. I live on Deer Island New Brunswick Canada, we have a tremendous amount of tide in among the islands".

Once again; more power will not make the boat move faster over the ground, against a foul current. You cannot push the boat past hull speed. It doesn't matter if the water is moving towards you or you are moving through still water. In a foul tidal situation, you will always need to subtract the speed of the current from your speed over the ground, no matter how much power you apply. Wind is is a different situation and more power will help, but not current.

I am not sure how wet it gets in the engine compartment but sound dampening would help with the noise. I did Raven's engine compartment and it made a huge difference. Even if you only did the underside of the cover it would make a significant difference. I hate the sound of the engine and have had to live with it for entire days when becalmed off shore. It is something I have learned to live with and always give a sigh of relief when I shut it down. The sound dampening material does help, Steve.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

I usually run it with the lazarette cover open so that I can access the controls, but I ran it with the cover closed once and was surprised at how much quieter it was.
On my CD25 with the 6hp Tohatsu, someone (Carl?) put a deck plate so you could operate the throttle with the cover closed. It did make it much quieter.
I am not sure how wet it gets in the engine compartment but sound dampening would help with the noise.
Really wet if there's any kind of following waves.

Jeff
bgephart

Post by bgephart »

What kind of sound dampening material is best, and how was it attached to the engine compartment cover on the CD 25?

Bob Gephart - Savannah