For Free: Cape Dory Weekender needs work Patchogue NY

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
paulmcevoy75

For Free: Cape Dory Weekender needs work Patchogue NY

Post by paulmcevoy75 »

My dad has a Typhoon Weekender he'd like to pass on as my mom is ill and he's not likely to repair it anytime soon. The deal is either you take it away on a trailer or you pay the storage bill to the yard. The yard is owned by family and my dad does not want them to get stuck with the boat. It's a great yard though where you can work on your own boat so if you want to pay for that...

There's a wooden cradle to go with the boat. You could probably get it on a flatbed trailer at least for a ways.

The boat is cosmetically rough. There is a fair amount of crazing on the hull. My dad started to repair it but didn't get very far. So it makes it look worse than it is (the epoxy he put on needs to get sanded off). Anyway...if you wanted it to look amazing you'd have to get into filling the crazing. You could also just some paint on it and go sailing and worry about it later.

The woodwork has been removed, my dad has it in storage. I believe he sanded and varnished everything.

The aft deck is on the soft side. It could be recored, but I'm guessing you could just leave it too, depending. Not a huge repair either way. I noticed in the pictures that the aft jackstand is pushing hard against the bootstripe. Turned out that it was a bit too tight. My dad backed it off and tells me that the area returned to normal.

The rudder seems solid.

Having rebuilt a Pearson Triton I can say that I think this could be a real nice little boat for someone. It would be a lot of work to get it perfect but probably not that much more work than a nicer example (if you are going to sand and paint the hull, it sort of doesn't matter).
Pictures are here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/aTWDwGZLzfxD3BOn1

If you send me a PM I'll pass it along to my dad.

Thanks!
Paul