Help me find the source of this leak

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

noreaster

Help me find the source of this leak

Post by noreaster »

Hi,

The boat in question is not a cape dory, but a sea sprite 27. I also have a typhoon, and a cd10 and this website have been incredibly helpful with answering any questions with either of those boats. I've come to trust many options on this board, and would rather not take my questions and advise seeking elsewhere.

That being said, I have a rainwater leak while the boat is on the hard. This peculiar leak has me really scratching my head. I have come to the conclusion that while a boat is blocked, water pools in places that it wouldn't normally pool while on the mooring- but that still doesn't come close to me finding the source. There are no water trails down the bulkhead, and nothing is wet above the pooling water anywhere.

The main cabin bulkhead this year has been wet on the bottom, along with the cabin sole in that area. The bilge has three levels that all connect. Forward of the bulkhead in the head/shower is a grate with a drain that leads aft. That area is dry. Aft of the bulkhead is an opening to the forward portion the bilge, as seen in the photos. This is damp, but doesn't look like water has been streaming through it. The furthest aft portion of the bilge has an inch of rainwater in it.

The deck hatch slightly forward of the bulkhead does not leak, and the one aft is also sealed. The portlights do not leak, and the chainplates are dry. I laid paper towels around areas I thought the leak could be coming from and checked them after it rained. They were dry.

When I bought this boat, there was some staining, and slight delam on the bottom of the bulkhead showing a history of water leaking, but never leaked during my ownership.

Here are a few photos. Any insight would be incredibly helpful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
noreaster

Re: Help me find the source of this leak

Post by noreaster »

Pulled back image for reference:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eb1smith
s/v Larissa

Post by eb1smith »

Is there a water tank under the settee?
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

Check all hoses in the area. It could be leaking from a water hose, even if the water pressure pump is off. I suspect the caulk joints on the head side of the bulkhead are done and the water is weeping from water lines there.

Boyd
S/V Cat-A-Tonic
Prout 34
Fort Lauderdale, Fla