He Wouldn’t Drink the Water

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: He Wouldn’t Drink the Water

Post by John Stone »

Ben Miller wrote:
John Stone wrote:Wrong! Come on now. Think. The Cold War. Russians. B52s. Nuclear Armageddon. The War Room.
P.O.E?

We may have a winner. Ben, give me a little more....
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

They're Fluoridating the water...
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Markst95 wrote:They're Fluoridating the water...
YES!! That’s it!! We have a winner!!!!

For the details...reread my initial post then click on the link:

https://youtu.be/J67wKhddWu4
AMcC

Post by AMcC »

Flouride!
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Purity Of Essence!
BTW, my teeth turned black in Russia from drinking bottled water (and lots of black tea). Go figure, Gospodin!

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

“Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink a glass of water?” Why not—because it’s a commie plot to poison the water and destroy our P.O.E. Hahahahaha. Perfect.

“Purity of essence...of our natural fluids.” “Uh, we’re still trying to figure out the meaning of that last part.” LOL.

A lot of people might not realize that Sterling Hayden portrayed General Jack Ripper. Hayden as in the celebrated actor that started life as a Grand Banks fisherman and went on to be a life long sailor. He was a Marine Officer in WW II and parachuted into Yugoslavia with the OSS—the precursor to the CIA. He kidnapped his kids in 1958 and took them sailing across the South Pacific. If you have not read his auto biography “Wanderer” or his novel “Voyage” I highly recommend you add them to your reading list.

P.O.E. I don’t care what anyone says, that’s Funny.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

I forgot that Hayden played that part ... but I still remember Dr. Strangelove.
How did they capture Herr Kissinger so well?
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

During the winter of 1973, at the age of 19, I was working as first mate on a 60' Pacemaker, in Fla. The captain was friends with Dick Lovett, of Lovett pumps. Dick had a beautiful Maine, lobster boat that was built as a yacht. He and his mistress would take it to Fla. from NJ every winter. His wife lived next door to them and stayed back home. We were invited to brunch one Sunday morning and it turned out to be a bottle of vodka that they had put in the freezer overnight and caviar on crackers. The vodka was served in a tall water glass and I don't remember much about the snacks. It was easy to drink but I don't think we accomplished much for the rest of the day. Not that we ever accomplished much on any day. The two of them were delightful people who claimed that they never drank water. They swore it would rust your pipes. Maybe in coffee but not straight up.

Now I am wondering if they may have been Russians, Steve.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

It only took 23 hours to solve the mystery :!: Great teamwork guys. :D I will now be able to sleep tonight. :wink:

Dasvidaniya :!: :roll: :roll:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Steve Laume wrote:they never drank water. They swore it would rust your pipes. Maybe in coffee but not straight up.

Now I am wondering if they may have been Russians, Steve.
Exactly! See, I’m not making this stuff up! :D
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:It only took 23 hours to solve the mystery :!: Great teamwork guys. :D I will now be able to sleep tonight. :wink:

Dasvidaniya :!: :roll: :roll:
Roberto, you should sleep better tonight because I purchased a second weight belt today. It’s a rubber one. So I can wear my knife on a separate belt that I’ll be able to keep on if I have to release my weights. For you brother....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

John:

Congrats on the new belt.

We can talk about that buckle another day. :( :( :( :wink:

For now, have a sip of vodka or a glass of water.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:John:

Congrats on the new belt.

We can talk about that buckle another day. :( :( :( :wink:

For now, have a sip of vodka or a glass of water.

Roberto,
This is a very cool buckle. No moving parts or springs. It’s made in such a way that when you pull on the running end of the belt the prong pops open and stays open so it can’t snag on another hole. It’s made for free divers. It’s the cats meow. Seriously. Think about it. It does not require AGM batteries, or a generator, or an integrated chart plotter with AIS and radar, or even LED lights to work. It doesn’t care if the prop ed locked or free wheeling. It doesn’t even require a wheel to tiller conversion to be work. It’s right up my alley.

So have a Guinness or three for you and a couple for me too. I’m going to bed. And I’m not a commie so water, with or without fluoride, works just fine for me. Long live our P.O.E.

Night night.
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

Can the belt be released with a single movement and one hand? Generally one should not have to use two hands to release a weight belt and after release there should not be any catches that could cause a hang up. Idea is to release with one hand...allow weights to pull free the tail end of the belt....hold the belt free of the body and release it so it doesn’t catch on something.

I would not use a niches belt for dive weights! K-Bar holder yes.

V/r

Pete
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

psjanker wrote:Can the belt be released with a single movement and one hand? Generally one should not have to use two hands to release a weight belt and after release there should not be any catches that could cause a hang up. Idea is to release with one hand...allow weights to pull free the tail end of the belt....hold the belt free of the body and release it so it doesn’t catch on something.

I would not use a niches belt for dive weights! K-Bar holder yes.

V/r

Pete
I thought this thread was about P.O.E. :roll:

Pete
Yes one hand release. The prong springs up to the position as shown below. Pull on the strap with one hand the prong pops up and out of the oversized holes, let go running end and the belt falls away. There is nothing for it to catch on since I am clean in the water. This is a standard free diving quick release weight belt. The reason I like it is as you go deeper and as your body and wetsuit is compressed the belt stays snug, unlike my nylon belt which I’m constantly adjusting or have to draw it very tight on the surface.

Keep in mind, I wear just enough weight to be slightly positive buoyant with a full breath of air. Exhale, I’m slightly negative buoyant and sink.

I’d like to wear my knife on a separate belt. But, only if it’s not cumbersome. Otherwise it will go on the belt and in the unlikely event I have to ditch 4 lbs of weight I will sacrifice my knife to live to fight another day.

For more info on this whole issue you can click here. https://farreachvoyages.wordpress.com/2 ... #more-1432
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.