Cannabis and seasickness - What we know now.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

zekmeister

Cannabis and seasickness - What we know now.

Post by zekmeister »

Did a little bit of reading about how to deal with seasickness, nausea, vomiting, and other symptoms. And levels of endocannabinoids, and their corresponding drop during the acute phase of the motion sickness is being pointed out as a cause. I touched a little about it here.
Marine related only online classified ads web site that offers added exposure to your products or services for free. http://www.marineworldclassifieds.net
zekmeister

Re: Cannabis and seasickness - What we know now.

Post by zekmeister »

Apologies, link here
Marine related only online classified ads web site that offers added exposure to your products or services for free. http://www.marineworldclassifieds.net
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

Very interesting. Thanks for the link.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Interesting. The problem is of course, among a bunch I haven’t thought of, is cannabis in any form is going to be illegal just about anywhere you go outside a few states in the US. The coast guard will impound your boat as will a whole host of foreign countries. They may not are you have it in prescription form. And I say this with no bias against it for medical use whatsoever. I just don’t know how ya get around the legal issues when “big brothers” first action is to seize your boat.

The best medication I have seen and used is scopolamine capsules. I don’t use the patches because you can’t regulate what you are getting. You can’t get capsules in the US unless you have a prescription and go through a compounding pharmacy that will make it up for you. Scopolamine is powerful. It works. But, it has some hallucinagenic side effects for some people. Thus, I think, being able to regulate how much you take is helpful. We carry it on the Far Reach in 0.4mg capsules. I highly recommend you carry something effective if you are headed offshore unless you are absolutely positive no one on your boat is subject to seasickness.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Stugeron is widely used by cruisers emanating from Europe, Scandinavia, and the United Kingdom. I’ve met several U.S. and Canadian cruisers who purchase it in Bermuda. It is non-prescription but they limit what they will sell you based on the days you will be at sea. I have heard it is very effective and has less side effects than those motion sickness remedies available in the U.S.. I’ve never tried it since I rarely feel queasy :oops:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Great to hear from you Jim. I assume you are working feaverisly to get Orion ready for sea and your voyage to Bermuda. I hope you have no issues getting her ready. There is always so much to do to depart. Good luck and keep us posted.