Going Electric on a CD25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Peter Jackson

Going Electric on a CD25

Post by Peter Jackson »

I'm considering replacing my 5hp Honda 4 stroke with an electric motor and wondering if anyone is using an electric and what advice you might have.
tartansailor

Re: Going Electric on a CD25

Post by tartansailor »

Stick with the Honda. That's a great motor perfectly suited for a CD 25
Why is it great?
Because the power to weight ratio is perfect for your boat,
and
If you have to access the carb and the jet which all jets plug up sometime,
it's right on top there easy access.
Man o man, I hope I saved you from making a big mistake.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Peter Jackson

Post by Peter Jackson »

Thanks Dick. It is a great engine, but wrestling it in and out of the well is getting harder every year. I need to figure out a way to keep it in the well, but protect it from all the sea life looking to get up inside.
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

There are bags specifically designed to be lowered and lifted to encase your lower unit.
You then either pour in a disinfectant or pump out the brine and fill with fresh.
In my case my motor is permanently attached to a board which slides into U shaped channels.
The board and motor are then easily dropped in or removed.
Fair winds.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
casampson

Post by casampson »

I have a CD 25 with a 6 hp Tohatsu Sailpro, which became fairly clogged up with marine growth by the end of the season. It still ran fine, but it cost me an extra $100 to have my mechanic clean it out. A friend of mine suggested that I haul the motor every few weeks and let it sit in the open air for a few days, giving the budding barnacles and other forms of marine life a chance to dry out and die before slipping the motor back into the water for the next extended period. This would be easier than trying to do something every time the motor was used.

What do you think of this idea? Will it work? Thanks.
Peter Jackson

Post by Peter Jackson »

Dick your board rig sounds like an interesting idea, do you have a picture of it? If so, I’d love to see it.

Thanks.

Peter
Peter Jackson

Post by Peter Jackson »

"Mahalo" - As far as pulling the engine every couple of weeks to let it dry out and kill any thing that have gotten up inside, it might work, but I think it's tough to know what is a safe time frame. I used to spend considerable time every fall after I had pulled my boat taking a coat hanger and reaming the water intake to get all the barnacles I could reach out. It was amazing how much crap came out. I think there is no way to adequately protect your engine if it is exposed in the water (especially salt water).
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Post by drysuit2 »

I like the idea of an electric. Biggest problem is battery storage. The Elco's are expensive but work as well as an old two stroke. But only if you stay at a slip and can plug in to recharge every night. I'm on a mooring.

I really like the https://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us/produ ... 142-20.html.
I like the idea of just keeping it onboard for an emergency and never having to put it in the water until I need it. But the light travel 1003 model is really only appropriate if you ONLY use an engine in no wind. It's really meant for a boat half the weight of my CD26.

I still may go that way. I had an old Johnson sail master 2 stroke for over 20 years. [ I miss it] Then I've been through 2 of the "New Merc" four stroke 4HP pieces of crap outboards in the last 7 years. My current 4HP Merc hasn't started when I've needed it in two years. It's 3 years old. The new 4 strokes are heavier than the old 2 strokes, the corrosion due to electrolysis is out of control, and being stick in a well means they are always fouled. I hate them. As a day sailor I have to keep my water tank in the bow of the boat full to balance out the boat. Otherwise she hobby horses to windward, and won't point without the weight forward.

But I'm a day sailor. I'd be happy with a light electric motor. I'd just keep my water tank empty.

I may just spend the two grand and get it over with.
Peter Jackson

Post by Peter Jackson »

Electrolysis ruined my lower unit and after that I stopped keeping my engine in the well. The light weight electric sounds great, but not having enough power to push the boat in a breeze would be an issue. I have been searching the Internet for a bag that can cover the lower unit in the water when she’s on the mooring, but so far I haven’t had any luck.
drysuit2

Post by drysuit2 »

Peter Jackson wrote:Electrolysis ruined my lower unit and after that I stopped keeping my engine in the well. The light weight electric sounds great, but not having enough power to push the boat in a breeze would be an issue. I have been searching the Internet for a bag that can cover the lower unit in the water when she’s on the mooring, but so far I haven’t had any luck.
Peter! Bug Light! I know your boat! Used to belong to a guy named Joe. He purchased her to downsize from a larger boat. But age got the best of him and I've noticed she missed a few seasons in the water.
I always loved the dark color awlgrip paint job. When did you take over as her caregiver? I winter Segue at Freddy's as well. Sometimes in the water...sometimes on the hard.

You are correct that going in and out of Sheets Creek against the breeze needs more than 3hp. Segue spends her summers at NSYC. She is the 1st boat to Mitseaah's stern at Capri. Please feel free to stop by and say hello. Hopefully Sabain will launch me the week of the 20th. I have been too busy to get to the yard yet this season.

Frank
drysuit2

Post by drysuit2 »

My wife just informed me that my Torqeedo just arrived today. I'll let you know how it goes when I have the chance to run it. After talking with the tech guys at both West Marine and Torqeedo, I feel much better about my purchase.

Since I'll only really will be using it in no wind, we don't expect any lack of power problems.
Since the engine is electric, much like an electric car...the torque is more like that of a 4 hp gas motor. I found my 4hp Merc to pushed her around just fine, especially when you figure that the outboard was usually fouled, and the propeller looked more like a disk than a prop.

As a daysailer, I will not need to fill my forward water tank to balance out the boats trim, and the outboard will live safely in the lazaret or down below. This also means no electrolysis worries. .

Honestly the only issue I see is my waterline might move, and I'll have a little more freeboard. Or the catastrophic failure of something that needs an outboard. Though after 50+ years of sailing...I can't imagine any situation that I couldn't jurry rig or kedge out of.

We'll see. Even though Segue has been on her mooring for two weeks now, I haven't been aboard her yet this season. I have some sails to bend and running rigging to run. maybe this weekend.

I'm not complaining...The windsurfing has been great.

Frank
Peter Jackson

Post by Peter Jackson »

I'll be curious to hear how it works out. Thanks Frank.
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

Very interesting.
What will you be doing for batteries (type, how many and where)? Will you be recharging with solar at the mooring?
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

Ah, integrated battery.
Capt. Fritter

Post by Capt. Fritter »

Interested as well in how the Torqueedo works. Seen several here in the harbor but only on dinghies. Been lusting for one for a long time, but still out of my budget. Finally got rid of a POS mercury 4hp so currently without power other than sails. Hoping to get thru hurricane season without having to get another oil burning, polluting, gas dependent, sure to strand you outboard and get said electric next winter.

As for the build up of barnacles and growth on the lower end, try a jug of Barnacle Buster. Does a nice job of eating up said growth with a minimum of scraping. WM and Amazon carries it.