Chart Plotter and Radar Update Choice

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

wsonntag
SURPRISE
Georgetown Maryland
Member Since 2005

Chart Plotter and Radar Update Choice

Post by wsonntag »

I did not want to hijack thread regarding radar deck pole install - where Commodore Walsh indicated he was about to do a chart plotter radar update. I suppose I should join the 21st century and have this technology aboard. What are folks using, recommending for boats like a CD31 used largely in-shore? I intend to mount plotter on cabin top under the dodger.

Now where is that paraffin lamp oil for my main and forward cabin lamps, takes the chill off on a cool spring evening?

Thanks in advance for any advice
bottomscraper

Re: Chart Plotter and Radar Update Choice

Post by bottomscraper »

Garmin
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Garmin too. Other good choices exist but we really like the user interface.
Jeff
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

We have an older Raymarine. Works fine but, should we have to replace it, we would probably go with Garmin.

Note that we are all-summer live-aboards in Maine and Nova Scotia and cruise in a LOT of fog. So far, the Raymarine has been very reliable. We've Never had to communicate with Raymarine customer service, but we heard that it can be a trying experience.

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

For our smaller boats I would also consider a non typical charting option. An iPad (cellular ready) with either iNavx or Navionics chart program or a PC with OpenCPN set up down below if you like that, might do nicely and be separate from your instruments (which I like.) I am considering that option now after using Garmin GPX76 handholds for the last 16 years. I like to keep a paper chart updated so I do use electronic navigation a bit differently than others but I like the idea of a) completely separate system (with a handhold GPS as a backup) and b) non marine prices. Newer electronic suites are also coming with software that allows tying them in with tablet related software as long as you've got a wifi ready set up aboard. I think more and more stuff will be wireless in the future.

I've talked with a fair few people who use tablet or smartphone options exclusively and found them reliable. However, I ain't getting rid of my hand bearing compass and chart tools anytime soon!
Paul
CDSOA Member
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Paul D. wrote:For our smaller boats I would also consider a non typical charting option. An iPad (cellular ready) with either iNavx or Navionics chart program or a PC with OpenCPN set up down below if you like that, might do nicely and be separate from your instruments (which I like.) I am considering that option now after using Garmin GPX76 handholds for the last 16 years. I like to keep a paper chart updated so I do use electronic navigation a bit differently than others but I like the idea of a) completely separate system (with a handhold GPS as a backup) and b) non marine prices. Newer electronic suites are also coming with software that allows tying them in with tablet related software as long as you've got a wifi ready set up aboard. I think more and more stuff will be wireless in the future.

I've talked with a fair few people who use tablet or smartphone options exclusively and found them reliable. However, I ain't getting rid of my hand bearing compass and chart tools anytime soon!
I have a Raymarine C-80 chartplotter which has never let me down. I also have several navigational back-ups. The first is my iPad loaded with the Navionics app. primarily because my chartplotter runs on Navionics. My iPad lives in a Lifeproof waterproof case on the boat. It is paired with a Bad Elf GPS puck which provides the GPS signal offshore. My second back-up is the stand alone Bad Elf puck which only provides Lat. and Long.. My third back-up is a sextant. My fourth back-up is a chart with a running fix paired with my compass, knot meter, and log. My fifth back-up is equally shared among prayer, the luck of the Irish, and pure dumb luck.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
wsonntag
SURPRISE
Georgetown Maryland
Member Since 2005

Post by wsonntag »

Thank you everyone for your information and advice.

Bill Sonntag
Surprise
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

Well, I decided to join the 21st century as well and just today bought a Garmin Charplotter, West Marine had a pretty good sale on one.

I was told it was waterproof and could be installed in the cockpit. This is a new concept for me! Anyone have thoughts about installing on the cockpit side of the port bulkhead of the cabin? I'm very leery of cutting a big hole!

Thanks

Also, I will need to replace the transducer I currently have. I started searching them and found a pretty wide price range. I'd appreciate any recommendations
wsonntag wrote:I did not want to hijack thread regarding radar deck pole install - where Commodore Walsh indicated he was about to do a chart plotter radar update. I suppose I should join the 21st century and have this technology aboard. What are folks using, recommending for boats like a CD31 used largely in-shore? I intend to mount plotter on cabin top under the dodger.

Now where is that paraffin lamp oil for my main and forward cabin lamps, takes the chill off on a cool spring evening?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

A photo or two would be helpful to know the current layout of your cockpit. The units themselves do not have to be flush mounted. The supplied brackets are usually quite flexible to fit many applications. The size of your “multi function display” will also dictate distance from the helm for those times when close scrutiny is required.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

Thanks, I'll take a couple of photos and post.
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I always view my chart plotter as an interactive tool. It has to be easily viewed and controlled from the helm.

I keep a hand held GPS running in the cabin to take speed and Lat & longitude for 4 Hr. chart plotting when offshore. I don't even need the plotter in that circumstance.

What I do need the plotter for, is close in work where it often needs to be zoomed in or out. I also tend to use it to see what my set and drift look like. I reset "go to" marks to determine course and distance to my next turning point. I also use it to figure out which is the most advantageous tack to reach a destination and even when to tack as it figures in any leeway I am making. You just can't do this if it is too far away to reach while you are at the helm. You really do want it right in front of you when in a heads up position at the wheel, Steve.
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

Steve, that's kind of what I've been thinking and what prompted my question. I'm going to go over to the boat today, plans to take some photos and maybe cut out a mock up of the chart plotter to see if it fits, etc.
Cliff

― André Gide
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

I’ve been a Garmin fan since my first non-mapping GPS, a GPS 12. Probably from the mid to late 80’s?
Probably had a half dozen different units. Still using a mounted GPS Map 2006, GPS Map 478 (a portable but not handheld) and a small handheld, forget the model number. Garmins support has always been great. One must for a crusing boat in my opinion is the ability to overlay radar on a chart. It’s a great way to test that your GPS is reflecting the correct position on a chart.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Cliff - I'm not sure which model multi-function display you have, but my Garmin was specifically designed to be inserted into the cabin bulkhead. There is absolutely no reason to be hesitant about cutting a hole. It's really no big deal. I can reach all the controls from the helm with the help of a tiller extension. I also keep my handheld GPS (also Garmin) with charts loaded at the helm. I'm equally comfortable with either system, so it works very well. As in most things, what works for one person doesn't work for another. If I had a wheel, I would be in total agreement with Steve that a bulkhead mounted chartplotter would be too far away.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Well, I realize I’m in the minority. But someone needs to be a little contrarian so we avoid “group think” on the forum. :)

I tend to operate the same as Steve L offshore—hand held GPS and paper charts. Occasional sextant shot. I plan to use my sextant exclusively on the way home from the West Indies.

Nearshore we still use charts and a hand bearing compass. I like spotting identifiable terrain features on shore and drawing resections on the chart. It keeps me sharp and requires that I keep my head out of the cockpit. I like using the parallel rules and the right triangles for plotting. It ensures I am reading the legend on the chart so I always know the magnetic variation in the area I’m sailing. I also know if my compass is accurate. I enjoy the math and figuring out the angles.

I do have inavix on my iPad mini with a Bad Elf GPS dongle (non cell ready iPads don’t have an internal gps so the dongle GPS antenna is required). It’s an amazing piece of technology but I try to avoid it as it is like an addictive drug. I think it’s too easy and will make me lazy and drain away my competence I spent years developing. Plus it’s no fun. Like flipping on a light switch. There is no “so what.”

I don’t see the value in mounting a GPS plotter visible from the helm. Just something else to stare at besides the water, sky, and the sails. I move back and fourth between the chart table and the cockpit. Or when it’s real close work I have a plastic map case I use in the cockpit. But I understand others disagree. Thankfully we have not reached the point where legislation is passed that requires us to have electronic mapping. At some point that may occur if the Coast Guard gets its way and physical buoys are replaced with virtual ones. In the meantime do what feels most right for you.

Course everything I just wrote is all BS...next week I might mount a 10”x10” chartplotter with interactive AIS and Radar in the cockpit cabin bulkhead. :roll: