Persistence and Determination to Change Your Circumstances

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Persistence and Determination to Change Your Circumstances

Post by John Stone »

If you are happy where you are in life ... and happy with your boat, or if you have the financial means to make what you want your reality, then this post is not meant for you. But if you are like I was...dreaming about the far horizon and wondering how to get there, then these words of encouragement are for you.

I love it here in the West Indies. It’s a fantastic place. Plenty of great sailing wind, warm clear water, perfect temps, and an endless number of interesting friendly people to meet. It’s even better the second time than it was the first time. And the first time was great. No doubt about it.

When you really want something, but there is no way to buy yourself out of the work to achieve it, there is no substitute for persistence and determination. To get to the prize you have to have an aggressive unyielding focused-like-a-laser-beam kill or be killed kind of determination. You have to be determined like a junk yard dog.

Sometimes it feels a little surreal these days, and maybe just a bit overwhelming, to lounge on the Far Reach and remember back to the years of long hard work. I can remember when the boat was at all it’s various stages of rebuild: fiberglass residue everywhere; a crazy look in my eyes and a saws-all in my hands; not hours, but days of grinding and sanding; milling hundreds of board feet of wood; reading for hours and hours and then practicing complicated joinery, days of long-boarding and fairing epoxy modifications to get exactly the results I wanted; endless painting, varnishing, splicing wire, and always dreaming about the far horizon. Sometimes, there seemed to be no light at the end of the tunnel. That’s when you have to be really determined. But it pays off. It amazes me still to think I turned a totally gutted boat into an elegant sailing machine and then sailed her all the way to the Caribbean ... twice!

Click on the link and scroll to 23 Sept 2010 to see the gutted saloon.

http://www.farreachvoyages.com/dailylog ... ept10.html

So, for all of y’all thinking and dreaming about changing your circumstances and wondering if you can get to “someday,” all I can say is absolutely...if you don’t give up. Don’t be deterred or swayed by the naysayers (and there are lots of them). Make a plan, get organized, stay focused, and transform yourself into that junk yard dog. If you want it bad enough, you’ll make it. And I can promise you this, if you hold fast and stay the course you won’t be disappointed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by John Stone on Jan 16th, '19, 05:44, edited 1 time in total.
steveg

Re: Persistence and Determination to Change Your Circumstanc

Post by steveg »

John,

Thank you for the encouraging words and the inspiring example you provide. They are welcome here in the frozen north. Your posts are informative and a treat to read.
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

My signature reflects your thesis
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Steve
Glad it’s useful....and thanks for the kind words.

I know what’s it like to grind it out alone. I searched for people to inspire me as well. So, I guess I am paying it forward.

I never try to imply it’s easy. It’s a hard exhausting endeavor. Serious psychological obstacles to overcome the books never mention. If I ever wrote a book about rebuilding a boat, there would be a whole chapter dedicated to the psychology of tackling big long term projects.

Best regards and happy sailing.
casampson

Post by casampson »

Thanks for the words of wisdom.
Last edited by casampson on Jan 14th, '19, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

John Stone wrote:I searched for people to inspire me as well. So, I guess I am paying it forward.
I for one am incredibly grateful that you not only took on such a massive project, but you documented it thoroughly, and continue to do so. The process of taking photos and writing up a description is a heavy work-load all on its own. The end result, though, is a one-of-a-kind resource for anyone else who enjoys working on boats...or just reading about it. :wink:
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Ben Miller wrote:
John Stone wrote:I searched for people to inspire me as well. So, I guess I am paying it forward.
I for one am incredibly grateful that you not only took on such a massive project, but you documented it thoroughly, and continue to do so. The process of taking photos and writing up a description is a heavy work-load all on its own. The end result, though, is a one-of-a-kind resource for anyone else who enjoys working on boats...or just reading about it. :wink:

Me too, Thank You John
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

A career in the Corps probably was a big factor in your perseverance. So many boat rebuilds get abandoned when the work keeps going and going and going.

But all of your work would have been for naught if you hadn't prepped seriously for the hurricane. Sailing isn't just the prep of the boat, it's doing the right thing all the time. Checking the charts and then rechecking, diving on the anchor. Getting up to check for dragging when you'd really like to keep sleeping. Doubling and tripling lines and stripping windage before the hurricane. Skipping on anything could end the dream.

Thanks for being an example and an inspiration to so many of us.

I'd have followed you onto a hostile shore and I'd sail with you in harm's way.

Semper Fi
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Mbigos

Post by Mbigos »

Great post! I appreciate all of your very helpful and inspiring things that you share.

Keep them coming.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Oh darn it. Y’all are going to give me a big head and I’ll have to stop voyaging and run for office .... and then where would I be?

But seriously, I appreciate the supportive words. This is the only forum, I think, to which I belong. I even ditched Facebook a year or so ago. But his forum Is kinda like a family. Truly a unique family, bound together by Carl’s boats.

So, thanks again. Let’s get ready...for sailing or for winter to end if your circumstances find you buried under the ice and cold. If you can sail, let’s haul on a halyard, let the bow fall off, slip the mooring, and sheet home. What’s that I hear...the horizon beckons.
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

John, seriously you should consider motivational speaking!
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
zekmeister

Post by zekmeister »

You are an inspiration. I'm slowly working to follow my dreams as well. What you've achieved puts a face to my own dreams and aspiration to becoming waterborne.

Thank you John. ~ Fair winds.
Marine related only online classified ads web site that offers added exposure to your products or services for free. http://www.marineworldclassifieds.net
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Zekmeister,
Happy to hear you’re inspired. That feels good. If the drive is strong enough for you to overcome all the challenges, hurtles, difficulties, and those damn naysayers it will one day be worth it.

We beat back from Culebra yesterday against the trades. We got smashed for a while with a 30-35 kt squall and a rising chop and swell. The few boats that were out had dropped their sails and all were motoring into the headwind and headseas. We sailed past a 60 foot ketch struggling to power through them. We sailed with a working jib and a double reefed main and were making 6.5 knots. The Cape Horn windvane was steering perfectly. Though heeling about 20-25 degrees the ride was solid and reassuring.

While taking the below photo I was instantly taken back in time when the same view held nothing but a boat full of holes without a toe rail or bulwarks, portlights, deck hatches, cockpit coaming, winches, stanchions, any rigging, etc etc.

Keep going.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zekmeister

Post by zekmeister »

John Stone wrote:Zekmeister,
Happy to hear you’re inspired. That feels good. If the drive is strong enough for you to overcome all the challenges, hurtles, difficulties, and those damn naysayers it will one day be worth it.

We beat back from Culebra yesterday against the trades. We got smashed for a while with a 30-35 kt squall and a rising chop and swell. The few boats that were out had dropped their sails and all were motoring into the headwind and headseas. We sailed past a 60 foot ketch struggling to power through them. We sailed with a working jib and a double reefed main and were making 6.5 knots. The Cape Horn windvane was steering perfectly. Though heeling about 20-25 degrees the ride was solid and reassuring.

While taking the below photo I was instantly taken back in time when the same view held nothing but a boat full of holes without a toe rail or bulwarks, portlights, deck hatches, cockpit coaming, winches, stanchions, any rigging, etc etc.

Keep going.
Thank you for your kind words. I shall. All the hurties makes success sweeter. I'm grinding at my sailing dreams with every open window I get. Barring any supernatural disruption I pray we'll be afloat this May.

Best regards

Zek
Marine related only online classified ads web site that offers added exposure to your products or services for free. http://www.marineworldclassifieds.net