Cape Dory 22 cabin height

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

bitn1geo

Cape Dory 22 cabin height

Post by bitn1geo »

I'm interested in a Cape Dory 22. Can someone comment on the interior cabin height? Is there standing headroom?
SVFayaway

Re: Cape Dory 22 cabin height

Post by SVFayaway »

Hopefully someone with a CD22 will chime in, but I had a Typhoon Senior (same hull and rig, different cabin trunk) and I could not fully stand up. I'm not a tall guy.
Avery

1974 Cape Dory 28
S/V Fayaway, Hull No. 2
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Unless the person is very short you cannot stand in a CD 22 cabin; same with a Ty Weekender, a Ty Senior and a CD 25. The smallest Cape Dory with standing cabin room is the Cape Dory 25D.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
bitn1geo

Post by bitn1geo »

Thanks for the comments. They were very helpful.
Skeedeen

Post by Skeedeen »

Just FYI - The TyS and the CD22 do not have the same rig.
SVFayaway

Post by SVFayaway »

Right you are-I forgot we had a fractional rig.
Avery

1974 Cape Dory 28
S/V Fayaway, Hull No. 2
MHBsailor

Post by MHBsailor »

Before I found my TY Senior I looked at several other TY Seniors, CD22s and a CD25D. At 5-9, found the same as Roberto - that I had standing headroom in a CD25D but only comfortable sitting headroom in a CD 22 or TY Senior. The way the CD25D does it is by lowering the cabin sole. I ended up buying a TY Senior because it had a 50/50 ratio between cabin space and cockpit space, whereas the CD 25D had more cabin space than cockpit space. As my primary mission is daysailing with some weekending it's nice to have the extra cockpit space. If I were going to cruise, then a CD25D, CD26D (I looked at one of those too before buying my TY Senior) or above would make more sense.

From what I have been able to ascertain, the hull is the same on the CD22 and TY Senior but the cabinhouses are a little different. Also, as was pointed out in the previous post, the CD 22 is a masthead rig (with three shrouds/side) whereas the TY Senior is a fractional rig (with two shrounds/side). Another difference is that the TY Senior has a lazarette-mounted outboard, whereas the hull below the lazarette area on a CD 22 is closed and used for storage and the outboard is mounted on a stern bracket.

One reason for the transition from the CD22 which began production in 1982 and the TY Senior which ended production in 1987 during the height of the great boat manufacturing recession was for marketing reasons - the TY Senior cost less to produce because it lacked the fancy interior of the CD22. However, I've never been able to find a rationale for switching from the masthead rig to the factional rig, as I can't imagine that saved as much. Perhaps that was in keeping with trying to make it look like the bigger sibling to the Typhoon? JD
MHB Sailor