Help/Hire Moving Typhoon, Colonial Beach, VA to DC

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

HoosInDC

Help/Hire Moving Typhoon, Colonial Beach, VA to DC

Post by HoosInDC »

My wife and I own a Typhoon that is currently located in a slip in Colonial Beach, VA. However, we live in Washington, DC and that distance has meant that we don’t sail her as much as we would like to/should. We are looking to move her from Colonial Beach, VA to Daingerfield Island/Washington Sailing Marina in Alexandria, VA (appx. 1.5 hour drive). However, being city dwellers we have neither a trailer nor car that could reasonably tow it, so we are looking for some help.

We are looking for either a Typhoon owner in the Chesapeake Bay area with a trailer who we could hire to help us move it, a trailer we could borrow/rent for the weekend (father in law is an experienced boat trailer driver), or recommendations on a local commercial firm that we could hire to do the move.

We are looking to move it this month if at all possible. Call me at 434-825-6529

We are hoping to get Tadpole under sail more often. We appreciate any help!
Alan Stewart

Re: Help/Hire Moving Typhoon, Colonial Beach, VA to DC

Post by Alan Stewart »

I know several Typhoon owners up in your area, however at this time of year, they mostly all have their boats hauled out for the winter months. I will be traveling up to New England with an empty trailer in the not-too-distant future and would be able to move the boat for you then, but having just had hip replacement surgery last week it’s not likely hat I’ll be fully “recommissioned” until perhaps sometime in March or even April.Feel free to get in touch anytime if nothing else pans out in the meantime...
Alan @843-450-2498
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

Can you wait a few weeks or for a warm weekend and sail it up. Not a bad sail.

V/r

Pete
HoosInDC

Post by HoosInDC »

Thanks everyone! Still weighing options.

Certainly have considered sailing it. Anyone tried sailing up the Potomac in a Typhoon that far? Best info/estimation would be that it would take a few days, but anyone have experience in a smaller boat?
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I don't know. I just scanned the route from Colonial Beach, VA to DC on Google Earth. I see at least 6 bridges. If you are going to consider this, you are going to need to investigate the vertical clearance under all the bridges. Full disclosure. I know absolutely nothing about this area. It could be fully navigable its entire way. I just know one bridge could block the entire trip.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

Carl Thunberg wrote:I don't know. I just scanned the route from Colonial Beach, VA to DC on Google Earth. I see at least 6 bridges. If you are going to consider this, you are going to need to investigate the vertical clearance under all the bridges. Full disclosure. I know absolutely nothing about this area. It could be fully navigable its entire way. I just know one bridge could block the entire trip.
Almost positive the entire Potomac part of the trip is navigable. Plenty of folks have sailed to Alexandria from the Bay. Just seems like it would be a hell of a slog, especially the mouth of the river(I've never sailed there, but have heard tails of woe in the wrong conditions).