CD25D topside refurb questions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

macananny

CD25D topside refurb questions

Post by macananny »

Ahoy there.

The teak coamings on my CD25D have cracked and I am looking to replace them before painting the topside which will soon be underway. My 250# sailing buddy's foot did the damage when we heeled over this past summer. Although I love teak, I wonder if anyone has any experience with other more robust materials for coamings? For example, carbon fiber, starboard, etc. Failing that, I'll replace with new teak and reinforce with some teak buttresses/brackets. Comments welcomed.

Also I would like to convert the winches to self tailing. I could not locate any conversion kits for the original winches. Obliged for any good info/suggestions.

Thanks, Mike
Steve Laume

Re: CD25D topside refurb questions

Post by Steve Laume »

New 3/4" teak is going to be very robust. If you measure the old teak combings you are likely to find that they are closer to 1/2" thick, due to years of scrubbing and refinishing. The biggest down side to teak is that it's expense. You could go to a good lumber yard (not Home Depot) and look what they stock in tropical decking wood. Some of these woods make beautiful, strong and oily alternatives to teak.

Don't blame your buddy as the wood should easily hold up to bracing if it is up to it's original strength, Steve.
macananny

Post by macananny »

Thanks Steve. I plan to go ahead with new teak, buttressed, finished in cetol. No I don't blame anyone, just trying to describe how the cracking occurred- I'm sure it's happened to others. Finished removal of all brightwork today.
MHBsailor

Post by MHBsailor »

Have you considered mahogany?
MHB Sailor
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

Might want to move this to the proper board instead of the buy/sell board? More eyeballs and thus more help. Maybe one of the mods can help out?
Bob Lascelles

Post by Bob Lascelles »

Mike
I changed out Vindolanda’s winches with Lewmar Ocean 16 BBST (single speed bronze self tailers). I’m very satisfied with them. They fit on the standard bronze winch pads, but you need to drill a new bolt pattern. Defender’s annual sale was the best deal I could find.

All the best

Bob
Bob Lascelles
CD25D Vindolanda #111
York, ME
macananny

Post by macananny »

Bob,
Thank you for the information. Have you repowered Vindolanda? I would love to see pics of her- perhaps you can direct me to a posting/site- or my email is macananny@hotmail.com.
Cheers, Mike
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Mike:

I installed the same Lewmar winches as Bob L. - Lewmar 16STBB

As for repowering, if you search this board you will find several posts of CD 25D caretakers who have repowered. It seems many have installed the Beta Marine 14.

I am not sure where you are located but Beta Marine will be at the NE Boat Show in Boston in Feb and at the Maine Boat Show in Portland in March.

I "assume" Lewmar will be at the Boast Boat Show next month.

You may get better deals on winches and repower options at the show.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Last winter I bought a pair of Lewmar self-tailing winches to replace the original winches on my 25D.
I bought them during Defender's huge winter sale--and saved more than $300.
Unfortunately, the new winches did not arrive until July! Some parts were missing and had to be shipped from England, apparently by sailboat!

Still, I don't regret the upgrade at all. Self-tailing winches are a godsend as I grow older. If you can do so, I urge you to consider it.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
macananny

Post by macananny »

Roberto and Joe,
Thanks for the info and advice. I think I'll go ahead with the self-tailers. Her deck is now stripped of brightwork and ready for first sanding. I chose not remove the rub rails however because it's in really good shape, plus they're a real bear to remove and replace without damaging them.
Cheers, Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I know the subject is “topside refurb” but I’m wondering just how extensive a refurb you actually are planning? The repowering reference has me intrigued. You may be entering the realm where some of us know our updates and modifications far exceed the market value of our obsession.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
macananny

Post by macananny »

Jim:

I know that I'll probably not recover my costs if ever I part with her. Maybe the g-kids will enjoy her though. The deck/top has hundreds of small cracks that fortunately do not yet seem to have penetrated through the glass. She was previously sailed and stored (outside) up on Ontario, under makeshift tarps. So my priority this year is to repair and awl-grip before there is more serious damage. She'll be better stored next winter.

The hull is in pretty good shape- but some previous amateurish paint coatings are showing and detract from her natural good looks. So hull will wait until funds are available maybe next year.

Her single cylinder original Yanmar is still running fairly well, but I don't know how many more seasons she'll continue to do so. There are a few CDs here on Cayuga that have been repowered, and I'm just trying to figure out some options when/should they be needed.

Just so as not to mislead anyone, I'm a novice sailor that knew he wanted a CD25D the first time I saw one. Took me a few years to find Quest. Also I'm not doing the sanding and painting myself- so far just the brightwork. Finger Lakes Boating Center will repair, sand, apply coatings in their shop. I'll remount the brightwork including new bolstered coamings.

Cheers, Mike
Bob Lascelles

Post by Bob Lascelles »

Hi Mike,
One of my daughters has dibs on Vindolanda for the future (hopefully distant). Like you, I really liked the look of the 25D and went out to Duluth, MN to pick her up. I think getting a freshwater boat was worthwhile, because with raw water cooling it's a lot easier on the 1GM. I have no plans to re-power, but I know quite a few guys who have installed Beta 14s. I have the same type of deck cracks to work on as you do, but I've made a lot less progress compared to yourself! Like Joe and Roberto I really appreciate the self tailing winches. As I said you'll need to drill a new hole pattern in the winch pads for the Lewmar 16s. The pads are bronze, which is very tough and gummy to drill. Buy a couple of nice new drills or sharpen the ones you have, and go slow. I found tapping fluid worked well as a lubricant.

Fairwinds

Bob
Bob Lascelles
CD25D Vindolanda #111
York, ME
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Bob Lascelles wrote: The pads are bronze, which is very tough and gummy to drill. Buy a couple of nice new drills or sharpen the ones you have, and go slow. I found tapping fluid worked well as a lubricant.
Also, you would do better using a corded drill than a battery-powered cordless drill. My batteries just didn't hack it for drilling into bronze.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Mike:

After I installed the Lewmar winches I posted a brief discussion of the installation steps I went through. The discussion is not nearly as detailed as those projects posted by Jim W., John S., Steve L. and many others. Worrying about taking pixs, etc. was way down on the priority list. I was just trying to get the job done without screwing it up (that is, avoiding a SNAFU :cry: ).

This is the discussion thread. My last post 02 April 2013 is a project summary.

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... s&start=15

To the extent my installation project was a success I owe a lot to OJ, Randy, jbenagh, Hilbert and many others. I remain especially indebted to Peter Wallace who crossed the bar a few years ago. He was pivotal in walking me through the steps and offering much encouragement. He had previously installed these same Lewmar winches on his beloved S/V Lady Jane. As I posted when I learned of Peter's passing, Peter was one of kindest, most decent people I have ever met.

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... er+Wallace
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil