Boom Vang Weekender

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

joeharverson

Boom Vang Weekender

Post by joeharverson »

I am trying to locate the the mast and boom bales for a boom vang. I have the old Sparten catalog numbers, but they appear to be no longer available. Rig Rite has a slot and eye flush mount bale for the boom that uses a wire with a ball attached, but I cannot seem to find a bale for the mast. I did see one set up where two holes were drilled in the mast step and wire again was used. Any advice on a setup that has been successful would be appreciated.

Joe
Jim Walsh

Re: Boom Vang Weekender

Post by Jim Walsh »

Hi Joe, welcome to the forum.
This question would best be posted in the “Cape Dorys” section rather than the “Buy/Sell” section. You may wish to repost it there. If you provide some details about which model Cape Dory you own you are sure to receive helpful advice focused toward that specific model. Pictures are also worth a thousand words.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

joeharverson wrote:I am trying to locate the the mast and boom bales for a boom vang. I have the old Sparten catalog numbers, but they appear to be no longer available. Rig Rite has a slot and eye flush mount bale for the boom that uses a wire with a ball attached, but I cannot seem to find a bale for the mast. I did see one set up where two holes were drilled in the mast step and wire again was used. Any advice on a setup that has been successful would be appreciated.

Joe
Hi Joe! Garhauer is my usual go-to for things like this...
and they have nicely changed the website! I personally like new site far better than messing with the prior 'catalog' style pages.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
sloopjohnl

Post by sloopjohnl »

on my '76 weekender which i assume was factory//dealer equipped, i have the similar flush mount boom slot unit with the ball/wire attached to a block with a becket for the wire (that has an eye secured with a nico press fitting) and a sheave for !/4" rope and a jam cleat. the rope goes down to a very small block with a sheave and shackle to form a 2:1 purchase. the tail of this rope passes thru the jam cleat to tension the vang. the small block shackle end rides on a 1/4" line that encircles the mast base. this rope passes thru an eye on the front of the mast where the two ends of the rope are knotted together to form a loop. the shackle end of the small block can then ride this rope from port to starboard and vice versa. it is a very simple setup that i imagine cost very little in 1976, but will still not break the bank! hope that's clear as mud!
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I still use the original boom slot and vang with short cable and ball but I attach the base end of the vang to a metal sail slide/slug with nylon slug (designed for a J-24) that I slide into the sail groove at the base of the mast before stepping the mast. It works great! It also increases the angle of the vang giving a better purchase angle to the boom. It has worked reliably for the past 5 years - just don't forget to install it prior to stepping the mast! This avoids drilling any additional holes in the mast while keeping the attachment to the mast as low as possible.
Farmer Wayne

Post by Farmer Wayne »

I use the same system as Dick has for mentioned. It was shown to me by Chris C. a fellow member of the Otsego Sailing Club, and
it has been flawless. Just remember to install the slug before stepping the mast.