Snap-ring pliers, Oberdorfer water pump, Universal M25, CD31

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dean Abramson

Snap-ring pliers, Oberdorfer water pump, Universal M25, CD31

Post by Dean Abramson »

I have searched in vain for some snap-ring pliers to remove/replace the impeller in the Oberdorfer water pump on the Universal M25 in our CD31.

The ring is small, and the two holes are tiny. All the pliers I find (including one I bought, with a choice of tips) are two big.

I have limped along for years with a routine I do involving a jeweler's screwdriver, needle-nose pliers and a hammer. But it is mickey mouse, potentially hazardous to the pump, and quite time-consuming. With my bad back, I am spending way too much time frozen in a bad position to do this job. Painful.

I figure someone makes a good snap-ring-pliers for this task, and I am hoping one of you 31 owners (maybe other boats have the Oberdorfer too?) can direct me to one.

Thanks.
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Steve Laume

Re: Snap-ring pliers, Oberdorfer water pump, Universal M25,

Post by Steve Laume »

I use a dental pick, Steve.
Dean Abramson

Re: Snap-ring pliers, Oberdorfer water pump, Universal M25,

Post by Dean Abramson »

Thanks, Steve. I may go that route.

I am nowhere near my boat. Can you confirm what I think I remember, which is that our rings are "external?"

I just found these guys, and they have a lot of snap-ring pliers:
https://www.grainger.com/category/tools ... ptout=true

I will probably have to wait until spring to try to measure the size of the holes in the ring. But I am hopeful that then I can get the right tool from Grainger.
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine