Cost Per Sail

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

kerrydeare

Re: Cost Per Sail

Post by kerrydeare »

casampson wrote: ... if I wanted to retire to the place that had the cheapest and the best sailing in the country, where would I go? ...
It's unlikely that a particular location will offer both the "cheapest" and the "best" sailing simultaneously. When was the last time a group of sailors agreed on anything, let alone the best sailing"?

Having said that, I will note that I have been reading and applying the lessons in Practical Sailor since its inception (1976), I never buy "marine grade" anything, I do all my own work as far as possible, and I have been sailing the same small boat (28 feet) since 1980 (over 100,000 nautical miles last time we looked). When all this is taken into account, I still find that sailing is expensive and the costs in dollars are irrelevant when it comes to actual enjoyment. There have been times when enjoyment won out, and times when costs far exceeded any realistic or reasonable level.

I'm a firm believer is keeping an eye on the checkbook, but if a person is going to approach owning a sailboat with the goal of "cheapest and best" there is no path that leads to success. The term "oxymoronic" comes to mind.
Last edited by kerrydeare on Oct 26th, '18, 06:05, edited 4 times in total.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

casampson wrote:So I ask you, if I wanted to retire to the place that had the cheapest and the best sailing in the country, where would I go? The Gulf of Mexico? South Carolina? The Pacific Northwest? The Caribbean?
I have lived all over the country. In my mind, unless you’re talking about an inland lake somewhere in the south, the least expensive is going to be in the Carolinas on the coast. We have about two to three months of cold weather per year and much of that is sailable.

I lived on the Gulf coast for 13 years. I learned to sail there and I liked it—but the summer heat is is crushing...to me anyways. I just returned from three weeks in BC, Canada. Wow! Gorgeous. Would love to sail there but the winter weather is terrible and the cost of living very high I think. The most perfect weather in the country is SOCAL, no doubt about it. Lived there for four years. But the cost of living is insane...and there’s are a lot of people. If money were no object, I would live there...On Coranado in San Diego probably....just saying...if money were no object.

The cost of living is low especially in eastern NC, which is why we live here. The taxes are low here too. The sailing is excellent. There are lots of sheltered places to sail along the Neuse River, Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds, etc. Take a look at eastern NC on Google Earth and you’ll see what I mean. Compare it to SC which does not have near the amount of sheltered water. But eastern NC is rural. Things happen slow here. It’s a conservative place. The coast is flat. The soil sandy. The water is murky. It’s a different kind of beauty. But, the coastal sounds are some of the most important fish hatcheries on the east coast. We have ospreys and eagles, terns, egrets, herons, and skimmers. Lots of people that retire from up north seem to gather in the Oriental area. It’s a funky little town with an eclectic mix of people, art, music, etc. They claim as their title “The Sailing Capital of NC.

Last thing, as many good things as we have here, like Fl we have hurricanes. Nothing is perfect. But NC, for us, had the most checks in the blocks.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

casampson wrote: So I ask you, if I wanted to retire to the place that had the cheapest and the best sailing in the country, where would I go? The Gulf of Mexico? South Carolina? The Pacific Northwest? The Caribbean?
I truly love the panhandle of Florida... though our area just dodged a major bullet by 40~50 miles.
As for expense, it's great if you can afford to own your dock... I can't but I do have a neighbor across the street that can and he rents me a slip much less than a marina.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Chris,

Considering this matter is bad for your sailing and mental health.

For crying out loud "IT'S A BOAT". If it gives you pleasure, it is worth it.

Not worth it if you skip dentistry to pay for it, though.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

Life is short. If you enjoy sailing there isn’t a “cost.” If you are asking then you may need to find another pastime.

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

s2sailorlis wrote:Life is short. If you enjoy sailing there isn’t a “cost.” If you are asking then you may need to find another pastime.
Can you clarify what you mean? ‘Cause I don’t understand that statement at all.
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Post by drysuit2 »

I go through this mental math about once a year . And then I realize that I could be dead tomorrow.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

s2sailorlis wrote:Life is short. If you enjoy sailing there isn’t a “cost.” If you are asking then you may need to find another pastime.
Yep, life is short... BUT it's the longest thing *any* of us will ever do! Enjoy it -or- die with regrets...
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
casampson

Post by casampson »

I expected to take some heat when I started this thread from the "if you have to ask..." side of the fence. And I do appreciate that point of view. However, just because I analyze cost doesn't mean I don't love the pastime. Not at all. I love to sail, but I also love gathering data about things. It's how my mind works, through no fault of my own. And, in spite of all the eloquent responses in this thread, it still astounds me that I will spend about $100 per sail next year unless I decrease costs or increase time on the water. Let me ask all of you this question: if you had to fork over a $100 bill each time you climbed aboard your boat, would you still go as frequently? I know it would make me think twice, because, to me, even at 60 years of age and at the peak of my earning potential, $100 is still a lot of money.

I also want to reiterate the fact that, before buying my CD 25 I owned a nice little Typhoon that sat on a nice little Triad trailer. That set-up cost me virtually nothing on an annual basis. To be precise, all I paid for was my $125 mooring fee and my $150 slip at the dinghy dock. Launching, hauling, stepping, unstepping, and storing were all done by me, without the services of a boatyard, for nothing. I can do none of these things now, with the possible exception of storing my boat at home, with the CD 25. My annual costs have soared from $275 to over $2000, and I get the feeling that this is relatively cheap in comparison to other boat owners around the country. The question is, do I get enough additional sailing pleasure out of the 25 to justify the cost? My initial answer would be no -- sailing my Typhoon was just as satisfying as sailing a larger boat, and so why not just keep it simple and cheap and go get another one? After a little more reflection, though, I realize that I do enjoy the bigger boat more, as I can do more, go farther, handle heavier weather, go for an overnight cruise, entertain guests more comfortably, and generally have a better overall experience in the bigger boat. And it is dryer and more stable, making it a more pleasant experience for my wife and other guests who don't enjoy the wilder side of sailing. Of course there is also the issue of the head, which is far more civilized on the bigger boat than it was on the Typhoon.

Please don't suggest that I go back to the Typhoon, because I don't want to. I am happy with my new boat and have even thought of upgrading to a CD that has an inboard diesel instead of an outboard in a well. I just have to get over the initial shock, learn to forget about the money, and start gathering some memories. Above all, I need to get out on the water more. This will be my agenda for 2019.

Chris
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

As Red Will Danaher said; "God Bless all in this house." The house of Cape Dorys.
Enjoy the blessings of God and Carl Alberg and go sailing.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

This is an interesting thread...it’s about something a lot of people think about but don’t necessarily talk about.

It seems to me, in the end you have to decide if the money you spend is worth what you get out of it. I drive a 15 year old truck. Works fine for me. I could buy a new truck but I would not get the pleasure out of it commensurate with the cost. It’s a choice. I want a house over looking deep water with the Far Reach out back at the dock or on a morning. But the cost would be too much for that benefit.

It’s foolish to say the cost doesn’t matter...sure it does, or at least it should. Maybe that’s why so many people declare bankruptcy...they want, then buy, without figuring out how to pay for that thing in either the short term...or the long term. But, if you can afford it, if having it improves the quality of your life, then it “might” be worth it. I know what the Far Reach cost me (though I have kept her very simple to make her more affordable)...but at this point in my life it is worth it to me. I have to admit though I have never done the math to figure out what is the cost per sail. And how would I put a price on freedom anyway?

But, my next boat will be trailerable. It will have a tabernacle so I can raise and lower the mast by myself. I will be totally independent of a boat yard. I will give up a few things to gain other things. It’s about priorities and choices. I think it’s great we all get to decide our priorities and make our own choices. It’s interesting how each of us approach it.
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

I think when considering the cost of sailing, one has to imagine what you would be spending otherwise. For example, I go on at least a 2 week cruise every summer. If I were to substitute a travel vacation by other means,( i.e. airplane tickets, car rental, hotels, etc), my guess is it would be a pretty close call... especially considering The Admiral would accompany me, whereas I sail alone. In fact, the solitude of my sailing has probably saved me from an expensive divorce!! :roll:

David
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I did a comparison analysis. If I chartered a boat about the same size for the same amount of days I sail aboard Femme, not including the fitting out or haul out/winterizing or other work time, it would be much more money to charter. Just the 11 day voyage to the Lake Superior National Marine Conservation Area in Canada we did this past summer would have cost more to charter a similar size and vintage boat. A newer Catalina or Jeanneau would have been comfortable, but lots more money.

Plus I love my boat, I know it well - not an insignificant safety factor - and believe it or not, I actually enjoy the additional work time aboard. Got the bilge pump home in the basement vise right now as a matter of fact, and I should get down there and fix the thing instead of typing to you lot! A nice 'season extender' for those of us up here above the frostline. Gotta sew new zips on the dodger too, and of course there's the......
Paul
CDSOA Member
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Post by drysuit2 »

casampson wrote:I expected to take some heat when I started this thread from the "if you have to ask..." side of the fence. ...I also want to reiterate the fact that, before buying my CD 25 I owned a nice little Typhoon that sat on a nice little Triad trailer. That set-up cost me virtually nothing on an annual basis. To be precise, all I paid for was my $125 mooring fee and my $150 slip at the dinghy dock. Launching, hauling, stepping, unstepping, and storing were all done by me, without the services of a boatyard, for nothing. I can do none of these things now, with the possible exception of storing my boat at home, with the CD 25. My annual costs have soared from $275 to over $2000, and I get the feeling that this is relatively cheap in comparison to other boat owners around the country. ...
Please don't suggest that I go back to the Typhoon,..

Chris
I TOTALY GET the lower costs of the smaller boat.
Every year I want to downsize. I'm a day-sailer; I never sleep on my boat or cruise.
A small Daysailer with a centerboard and large cockpit, that I can trailer,
and keep in my garage would be ideal for me.
It would be nice to have a boat that sails better in light wind. [When it's windy I'm usually windsurfing.]

So as much as I would like to change...I guess I have a soft spot for the old girl.
casampson

Post by casampson »

I am really frustrated by the lack of turnover on the CD board the past few days, so I thought I'd update this thread...

I bit the bullet last week and bought five SB-3 stands, along with blocks and chains, so I could store my CD 25 at home. Here are my revised costs for a year, which do not include the $700 I spent on the stands, etc.:

Pick up at my home, step, and launch: $425
Haul, unstep, and deliver to my home: $425
Mooring fee: $150
Slip fee for my skiff: $150
Winter stick/pennant service: $150
Total: $1300

Total number of sails: 20

Cost per sail: $65

If I sail 30 times, which is my goal for next year, my cost will be further reduced to less than $45 per outing. That's a bargain. :D

Chris