Right Angle Cordless for trimming, also Winchers

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dave H

Right Angle Cordless for trimming, also Winchers

Post by Dave H »

It was necessary for me to have 2 neuro surgeries to correct brain bleeds after a bicycle accident. The recovery process is slow. I'm looking to next spring, and wondering what my capabilities will be. I sail from the South Shore of Lake Superior, near the Apostle Islands.
One question at this point, has anyone used a right angle cordless drill for trimming sheet winches? Is this a possible solution to "power" a sheet winch?
Another question, would a halyard winch (on the mast) work for anchor rope and chain hauling, again powered by the cordless? I have chain hooks on two lines to work the chain.
Also a question about winchers. Some do not recommend them for sheet winches. May I ask what is your experience? Have winchers worked on your sheet winches? I think the self tailing would help if one was using a cordless to haul in.
BTW, it has been some time since I last posted. Then I was sailing a Typhoon Sr - loved that boat. Now I have an Intrepid 9M. 140 Genoa. It is also a wonderful sailboat. Sails like in a dream.
Chrisa006

Re: Right Angle Cordless for trimming, also Winchers

Post by Chrisa006 »

I was on a boat last month and the owner had one for raising the main. This is another thought.
https://www.sailrite.com/WinchRite-ABT- ... nch-Handle
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

A lot of folks use the Milwaukee right angle drill to raise a heavy main. I prefer the Tidesmarine Strong Track which reduces most of the friction for raising the main and all friction for dropping the main. I would be leery of using a power drill for the sheets, I love the two speed self tailers.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Sorry to hear about your accident. I am also an avid cyclist and sailor, so it hits home to hear your story.

My first CD has Winchers but I took them off. I felt that you had to get just the right number of wraps and the right diameter line on the winch for them to even start working right, and then could be unpredictable during wet versus dry conditions, etc. etc. Others may have better experiences with them.

I have used both the mast/halyard winch and a cockpit winch for my anchor rode when single handing. I like taking it back to the cockpit better because I installed larger self-tailers there.

I think giving a right angle drill a try with the right bit installed might work well for you for the big genny as you work through your recovery.

Maybe you can also find some willing crew to help out until you regain all your strength.

I have to chime in on the Tides mast track as well. I installed one three years ago and it is fabulous. Especially if you have full battens, which adds friction in a conventional mast track. Sail goes up just by pulling with my weight, and only need the winch to tension it once it is raised. Upon lowering the main it drops like a venetian blind.
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
Dave H

Post by Dave H »

Thanks for your comments.
Chris the Winchrite from Sailrite looks interesting. I really like Sailrite. It's designed for this purpose, stows well. Looks like it handles well. My first thought was that I wished it had removable batteries, so you could switch out when the charge ran low. That's what got me thinking right angle cordless drill. Internal battery may be better suited to the marine environment. My drills are De Walt, and batteries are expensive, so I was hoping to find a solution with De Walt. I was surprised to not find any cordless winch machines at West, Defender, or Hamilton.
Tim you make a good point about trimming sheets with power. You need fine control. That's actually the main thing I had in mind, along with anchor hauling.
Bill I'm not surprised that winchers were not a better solution on your boat. That might have been my wishful thinking again. You also make a good point about sailing with capable crew. I drive 4 hours to the marina. It does cut into people's available time. I have one crew who sails with me for a week each year. Others mainly have 4 days. But I think there are good daysailing crews in the marina. I'm going to the local sailing club in early Dec. I will discuss crewing with them.
My main halyard has not been an issue. I sewed the main from a Sailrite kit in 2015. Great kit, very good sail. I think it was my 8th sail project. It goes up with slugs in the mast groove. Goes up and down very nice.
Thanks again!
I'd like to hear from anyone about fine control for sail trimming with a Winchrite or cordless drill. And, of course, I hope to be good as new next spring.
Dave
I9M #45
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

As for "going up and coming down" easily, I have found that frequent applications of McLube SailKote (sp?) works wonders. And a lot cheaper that changing out track... but I'm pretty much just a day sailor these days...
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Hello Dave, glad you are on the mend.

While I have no experience with power winch methods, I agree with the Sailcoat in the track idea and do that to both my main track slot and the genoa foil slot. I usually go up the mast in the spring to check stuff out but last year did not due to back surgery. Instead, I sprayed the mainsail slugs and the luff bolt rope area of the Genoa. Sails fall down at the end of the season each year. If you don't have full battens this may be something to try before a whole new sail track.
Paul
CDSOA Member
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

And it does well when you do have full battens... :D
Been sailing full battens & loose foot for over 20 years!

However, I have started locking my prop in reverse...
but only because I put a Campbell Sailor on KAYLA... :!:
and it keeps the mono lever out of the way!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

I have way too many Milwaikee 12v cordless tools, and have been very happy with them.

The right angle drill does not have sufficient torque to power a loaded winch, and even with one, you will have to bear the load with your arm. Even the 3/8” rachet driver is not enough to run a winch.

You may want to experiment with alternative techniques for trimming. One can banjo string a line by wrapping a few turns on the winch, running the line across the cockpit, and around the windward winch. Tail with one hand and press down in the middle to take tension. Pull it taut and repeat.

Commiserations on the challenges in daily life, and get out on the water any way you can. Don’t hesitate to change the boat to suit your needs- a club footed jib with a block and tackle will trade loads for more line to pull.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Maine_Buzzard wrote:I have way too many Milwaikee 12v cordless tools, and have been very happy with them.

The right angle drill does not have sufficient torque to power a loaded winch, and even with one, you will have to bear the load with your arm. Even the 3/8” rachet driver is not enough to run a winch.

You may want to experiment with alternative techniques for trimming. One can banjo string a line by wrapping a few turns on the winch, running the line across the cockpit, and around the windward winch. Tail with one hand and press down in the middle to take tension. Pull it taut and repeat.

Commiserations on the challenges in daily life, and get out on the water any way you can. Don’t hesitate to change the boat to suit your needs- a club footed jib with a block and tackle will trade loads for more line to pull.
No offense intended, but thr right angle drill that I was referring to has a little bit more umph than a 12V. Here is the link:
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/ ... ls/0721-20
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Those Milwaukee tools are pretty heavy and will rip your shoulder off if you're not careful. Is it really necessary to have that much power to operate a tailing winch.? Isn't the tailing winch already geared down? Just curious. Oh, maybe the cordless model is not so powerful.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510