Hurricane Florence

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Hurricane Florence

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Cliff:

I think most would recommend putting your sailboat on land, especially because of storm surge in your area. It will be substantial especially around Annapolis.

I would especially advise this if the boatyard has some form of tiedown straps and ties together jack stands. I would get to the boatyard early as I am sure others are now considering the same option. Florence is a monster storm - very large in size and very strong. A lot of boats in the water will NOT survive. Sad but fact.

My recollection is BoatUS also recommends hauling out. I think that is why they used to offer 50% payment for haulout with a named storm. Less damage to pay for. You may want to recheck with them now that they have a new insurance carrier. 50% or not I would still haul out.

Good luck, Cliff :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Roberto, I think we have a sailing club member named Florence. What if that is where the storm is going and not SC?

Et al, We have further developed our our options. Spent more time today prepping the house then a couple hours at the boat. We removed the pram hood and dinghy mast and boom, oars etc. pulled the spinnaker halyard, and doubles most of the lines. I also removed the spritshroud stays so the bow lines would not have them to chafe on as the water rises. Removed the sculling oar to reduce windage. Will go back tomorrow and add a couple of forward spring lines and we should be as well prepared as we can be. All lines are doubled. Only a couple secondary lines are without chafe guards—I have used at least ten. The slip is 26’ wise so with luck I can keep the boat away from the dock. As long as I can get down to the boat and slacken then later taken in the dock lines, and as long as no other boats pile on top of us, and as long as the navy’s landing craft and support boats don’t break their mooring and smash into us we might be OK.

Some storm models are now showing the landfall a bit more to the north of Wilmington, i.e. Jacksonville NC, closer to us...not good. While at MCAS Cherry Point working on the boat today we met with the MPs and the BOQ folks. We have an option to stay on the base about 1/2 mile from the base marina where we keep the Far Reach. It’s a brick building with a metal roof. We are not keen on leaving the house but as the track has moved closer that might be the best plan. It also keeps my family together. Will know more tomorrow. The base has its own emergency response team, fire, rescue, hospital, facilities crew, etc.

Very good update tonight on Tropical Tidbits—Levi’s Blog. https://www.tropicaltidbits.com
He reports latest modeling shows competing high pressure areas are beginning to demonstrate steering influences which may push the storm more west and even a little WSW at or just before land fall. That could be helpful to us by reducing some surge where we are and some rainfall ...but not so good for other people. We have another 24-36 hours before we have to decide what option we will implement. Obviously, those folks that plan to evacuate further west have less time to decide and probably ought to be gone already.

Our county was just put on mandatory evacuation this afternoon. But we don’t know what that means. And it’s kind of a chicken sh$t declaration to my way of thinking when just this morning they said if you are on the beach or in flood prone areas evacuate otherwise hunker down.

These government officials need to be more thoughtful when making pronouncements. It would be better if they said something like “if you are on the beach, or in flood zone A and B or have trees that can fall though your house, or you are in a mobile home, or have medical issues then we recommend you evacuate. If those situations do not apply to you then take appropriate precautions, stock up with food and water and stay abreast of the storm though your local emergency response centers. You can feel the panic as the worriers start to influence the decision makers who have decided they should cover their ass. Yes it’s a dangerous storm but more for some people than for others.

It seems foolish to put 4 million people on the road at the same time. Where will they go, where will they get fuel, where will they get lodging, how do they know the flash flood situation on the routes they are driving? Are they safer sitting in their cars in stalled traffic on an interstate in a hurricane than in their home?

For Cliff, if you go to the NHC update there are maps and models below the hurricane advisory showing projected surge areas. Those are constantly updated. That might be helpful as you decide what to do.

Best of luck to those in the path of Florence.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Cliff
Here is the link to the NHC Hurricane Florence surge inundation map. It’s interactive so you can drill down pretty far. Not sure how accurate it is. Not seeing much of anything for the central Chesapeake Bay.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphi ... n#contents
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Cliff:

I think this is the link to one of the storm surge maps John S. referenced. It does NOT show Annapolis in a significant storm surge area as of 1700 hours today, 11 September.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphi ... e#contents

For me, I would prefer my sailboat on jack sands, tie downs, etc. rather than in the water. It also is what Boat US recommends so if there is damage at least you can say "I did what Boat US recommended."
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

John,
I'd stow the cowl vents and install the threaded plates to ensure it remains dry below. The Dorade boxes just can't keep up with the amount of rain and spray you may see and will flood the cabin.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Thanks Jim.
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

John, I wish you the best getting through the storm. You're surrounded by trees to help break the wind, that's a big plus.
Another suggestion would be to take the spinnaker pole, boom, and boom crutch down below if you can. Take care of
yourself - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Hi Jean. Thanks for looking out for us. Appreciate it. Spinn pole is on my list of tasks for today. Couldn’t do anymore yesterday.

Just finished cutting four 50’ 3/4” lines for forward springs and midship springs. More preps at house. Then head back to boat shortly (35 miles NE of house).

We have those damn cleats on the dock instead of pilings so they are a weak link. Do the best we can.

Florence forecasted to move more to west which is good for us. Don’t really understand what that will actually mean to us since we are still on the dirty side—plenty of wind and no let up on surge unless she she turns early. Fingers crossed she turns earlier rather than later.

We wish the best for all in her way.

Roberto. I’m with you brother. I hate these things. BTW, I have Guinness on hand.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

We have those damn cleats on the dock instead of pilings so they are a weak link.

John, our harbor does not allow those cleats. Can you tie to the support structure itself rather than to the cleat or dock?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

I don’t think so. The dock will be under water and I have to be able to slack the lines as the surge comes up. It is a terrible design. Designed by “expert” engineers and not sailors.

Headed there shortly and will carefully look for options.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

We completed our prep of the Far Reach. We removed the spinnaker pole but left the boom and mainsheet. I set up the running backstay. I turned the cowls away from the expected wind direction. We removed all the cushions and remaining tools, kero running lights, and sadly the matching Chelsea Ships Bell Clock and barometer. I felt guilty doing it and I swear I could sense her thinking WTF? Sometimes practicality wins out over sentimentality.

All lines are doubled with a total of 16 lines. The dock cleats appear to be through bolted but I can’t be certain. The current was running and the water is already rising due to the early wind shift to the NNE.

I also removed the stern bower (1/2” nylon) and rigged it the length of the dock so we have a guide line to walk down the dock to the boat and back when the water rises above the dock. This morning the NHC forecasted a 9’-12’ surge for the Neuse River. If the forecast proves accurate it will be very bad for the FR and all the boats along here still in marinas. Anchoring out is not a bad strategy though not so good when winds are forecasted at 140 mph. Canals with spider lines running ashore, positioning the boats have proven to be the best course of action if they are available to you.

The forecast continues to reflect landfall near Wilmington or Cape Fear (an appropriate name don’t you think. When I hear the name I always think of the classic line, ”come out, come out wherever you are.” Then she is expected to a stall off the coast with a turn to the WSW then some erratic slow movement along the coast of SC before pushing ashore. It sure seems like a better forecast for us than a few days ago. It’s a terrible forecast for those in SC and perhaps GA. It remains to be seen what really happens. I don’t wish it on anyone else, I just don’t want it to come here.

Best of luck to all those affected by this dangerous storm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Good luck! Storm surge looks potentially brutal. My fingers are crossed for you all in the path.

Jeff
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

The Far Reach is as prepared as I can make her. Slackened lines a bit this morning—photo below. The water is pouring in now. You can see the current effects in the photo. Headed back down in a few minutes. I expect the water to be creating the dock soon. We are up about 3’ with 6’-9’ more to go. A 42’ tyanna moved into the slip next to us yesterday. Very poor use of dock lines. Several are old and decrepid. Why do so many people do such a poor job of preparing their boats. It’s a hazard to all around them. I addd two lines to their boat this morning to protect the FR.

In the radar shot below the Far Reach is at the blue dot. Just now starting to get wind and rain. Surge remains my number one concern. Still forecast for 9’-12’.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Water is rapidly rising. Got 5-8’ to go. Wind about 30. Rain has just started.
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

First, John, best of luck! Looks like you've done everything possible and done it well (like always).

I'm going over to my boat first thing in the morning and going to go ahead and ask the yard to haul her. They do a good job, they do not have tie downs but do chain the jack stands together.

Thanks for the advice!
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide