The Tryanny of the Temporary

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Re: The Tryanny of the Temporary

Post by Joe Myerson »

hilbert wrote:I don't give a darn about wind instruments (a breeze on your face and a thread of yarn on the stay will do nicely thank you very much), I'm not about to give up on my "simple" diesel engine.
Count me in there, Hilbert. I gave up on my Windex after having to replace it every season after the local osprey hatchlings bent the vane. But my noisy little one-cylinder Yanmar keeps chuggin' along. Somebody, on this board I believe, once said that engine was "as complicated as an anvil."

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

hilbert wrote:While I don't give a darn about wind instruments (a breeze on your face and a thread of yarn on the stay will do nicely thank you very much)...
I agree! And if yarn cannot be had, bare nipples work nicely as well... :roll:
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Well sure a good diesel is usually pretty reliable. So, my thoughts about unnecessarily complicated and unreliable equipment does not normally extend to diesels.

But now that you mention it, I happen to have a very good friend having a whole lot of trouble right now with a new diesel. It’s out of warranty as it was installed during his multi year boat build. Serious aggravation and expense.

And I recall we had a Cape Dory couple up at Robinhood last year that had a lot of trouble with a newly installed diesel, installed by “professionals” no less. And let’s not forget all the moaning on the forum about stuffing boxes, cutlass bearings, shaft logs, exhaust elbows, and excess smoke in the exhaust or the troubles so many folks seem to have finding reliable mechanics to fix these problems.

And here I was seriously thinking again about installing a small diesel in the Far Reach ... I think I just changed my mind. :roll:
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Joe - I had the exact same thing happen to my Windex. The nice thing about Ospreys though, is they never poop on the deck. I just have to pick the fish carcasses off the deck. It's better than seagulls or cormorants.

I however, replace mine. I use the Windex as a reality check of my sail trim, to see if I'm pointing to maximum efficiency. If the telltales are all streaming when close-hauled and I'm still not pointing high enough, it means I need more backstay tension and mast rake. It helps having an adjustable backstay and a flexible mast (there are a few advantages to being a Brand-X sailor). Without the Windex, I'm really just guessing at backstay tension.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Tom Keevil

Post by Tom Keevil »

As the complexity of a system approaches infinity, the time between breakdowns approaches zero.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Tom Keevil wrote:As the complexity of a system approaches infinity, the time between breakdowns approaches zero.
Heheh... reminds of my signature quote... see below.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!