Portlight rebedding

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

sailorpappy

Portlight rebedding

Post by sailorpappy »

Any advice on this topic anyone? One portlight leaks a little.
I've read Don Casey on the subject. He doesn't say where to start.
I'm not at the boat right now, but I'm wondering if I have to start removing from the inside of the boat or the outside.
Thanks for any tips.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Re: Portlight rebedding

Post by jbenagh »

[Long answer] Look up port gaskets using the search function.

[short answer] you can buy gasket material from either Spartan (fit is correct but $$$) or McMaster Carr (you make your own fit but only $)

I did half of mine before this season and am much drier!

Jeff
sailorpappy

Post by sailorpappy »

Thanks Jeff, I'll check out both sources.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Portlights gaskets and rebidding are two different things.

Portlights leak when the gaskets are damaged or dried out. Easy replacement.

Rebedding requires that you carefully removed the outer trim ring. Do not let the trim ring get bent. So have the right tools and be prepared to apply some gentle heat if the P.O. bedded them with the wrong caulk.

Once the trim ring is off clean out all the bedding compound in the trim ring. Inspect what caulk around the spigot. I used butyl rubber around the spigot but what you have might be OK. Dry fit the trim ring and tape off both the cabin side around the trim ring and the trim ring itself with 3M 233 tape. Remove the trim ring again, load it up with 3M 4000 UV or your favorite sikaflex (do not usd too agreesive an adhesive (never use 5200). Reinstall the trim ring and clean up the squeeze out with mineral spirits or acetone. Remove the tape. That should do it.

Here is a link to our portlights rebuild:

http://www.farreachvoyages.com/projects ... ights.html
sailorpappy

Post by sailorpappy »

Ok John, tks for the tutorial. I've never done this so I still have a few questions.
First though, I don't know whether to rebed or replace gaskets.
I'm guessing here now, but I imagine rebedding requires
moving the exterior bronze to get to the old bedding, and
Replacing gaskets requires re.oving only the framing inside the cabin.
But maybe I need to remove both the outside bronze as well as the inside framing.
Seems like I should do both to fix the leak since i dont know where the leak is coming from. tv
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Easy to tell the difference. If it is leaking out from under the part that swings open and holds the glass it’s the gasket. If it’s leaking out from under the flange base in the cabin, or you have some other signs of leaks other than the gasket and you have eliminated other sources of the leak then it might be the the outer trim ring.

As a general rule work the easiest thing to fix first. So replace the gasket.

McMaster Carr is fine if you know exactly which material is the correct stuff. I could never figure it out. Use to be a single gasket from Spartan was $10. Don’t know what they cost now. If the gaskets are old and hard it is a reasonably easy project to complete and will make the portlights work better.
sailorpappy

Post by sailorpappy »

Thanks again John. I'll order from Spartan to be sure
Of a good fit. Will do interior first and see if that does the trick. I read your link. This is not a pouring in leak but as you say, better to fix early.