tuning

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

TE QUIERO

tuning

Post by TE QUIERO »

is there a tuning guide for the typhoon...mast is plumb but how much rake...how much tension on lowers? etc reasonably snug on uppers ...
mgphl52

Re: tuning

Post by mgphl52 »

I cannot give exact specs but do be careful not to over tension the rig! This can (and has!) cause the cabin top to compress. A lot of Ty's that suffered from this now have some sort of compression post below.

As for mast rake, it's more "art" rather than precise degrees. You should have "some" aft rake, which induces weather helm, which is a "good" thing. Like most good things though, too much weather helm is a bad thing... it will tire the helmsman and slow down the boat.

Set the rig up and sail some. then make some minor adjustments fore & aft and see how she handles. From there you can "tune to taste." :D

The proper amount of weather helm will cause the boat to go into irons when "unattended" and is a great safety feature.

As an aside, when I got my first Typhoon, I was working nights and sailing days. Fast forward several weeks.... I was suddenly awoken by luffing sails! I had literally fallen asleep at the helm :oops: but no harm was done since Snow Goose just headed up and into irons. I quickly swapped some of my "sailing hours" for "sleeping hours!"
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

You might want to get a Loos tension gauge. It will allow you to set the tension precisely. There are a number of You Tube videos Which I haven't watched :D ) on how to use one. I set mine after the first sail when they've had a chance to stretch. And maybe again mid season.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

I have a TySenior, similar rig but a bit bigger. I had a pro set mine up one season, and I use that more or less as a guideline. I bought a Loos Gauge as well to make sure I wasn't overdoing it.

On my boat I ended up reducing the rake a bit to lessen weather-helm. In fact there's hardly any rake at all now.

I find the fractional rig tricky--easy to get too much mast bend. What the rigger showed me, and what I've found from experience, is the lowers are key to straightening the mast. Mine are quite tight, about 18% breaking strength. Tighter than the uppers. If I ease up on them the mast gets a huge bend. My forestay ended up being very tight, about 20%. I try not to go beyond that.

Seems like a balancing act--too loose and you can end up putting a lot of strain on your rigging from "shock loading." Too tight and you risk compressing the cabin top. After I had mine done professionally, a fellow boat owner said "that's way too tight." But I decided to go with what the pro did--a lot of people around here are fine with their leeward shrouds flopping around, but seems like a lot of pros online say that's really hard on the rig.

Good luck!