CD36 Fuel Tank Size

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Nebilak

CD36 Fuel Tank Size

Post by John Nebilak »

Hello CD enthusiasts,
I have a question that has been bothering me for years. I see many posts of CD36s for sale that indicate a 43 gallon fuel tank. And the owners manual also calls out that volume. But my 1984, No. 102 CD36 has a fuel tank distinctly marked as 53 gallons. Were the newer models equipped with a larger tank but the manual never updated? I never emptied the tank and refilled it to determine the actual volume but cannot believe the manufacturer would mislabel their tank. One day I will "calibrate the tank/level gauge.
Thanks,
John
John
John Danicic

Re: CD36 Fuel Tank Size

Post by John Danicic »

I believe that mine is marked 55 gals (but it could be 53gals - definitely over 50) and is in the bilge forward of the nav table. And yes, I emptied the whole thing to clean it and refilled it with the labeled amount. I think the bigger tank was an option. Older CD36's have the tank in one of the cockpit lockers.
Sail on

John Danicic

CD36 - Mariah- #124
Lake Superior- The Apostle Islands
CDSOA #655
Cape Dory Picture Posts
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

On CD30 the owners manual says 10 gallons but mine had a20 gallon tank. Do look at the markings on the tank. My water tanks say 30 but are really 26-28 so take everything with a grain of salt.
On the fuel tank, it's pretty easy to just measure external dimensions, subtract 1/4 in (1/8 for each wall) and then you're pretty close to that volume. Total internal plumbing is leas than half gallon.
Jeff
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

The tank on the Far Reach CD 36 #61 was supposedly 55 gallons. Don’t know. Never put fuel in it. Cut it out of the bilge and tossed it.
Doug Gibson
'87 CD36 #147
SF Bay, CA

Post by Doug Gibson »

I replaced my fuel tank about 4 years ago. The tank, located under the main cabin floor, was indeed 53 gallons. I took measurements of the tank (quite irregular shaped to fit into the keep sump/fiberglass pan) and the volume did equate to 53 gallons. When I filled the tank the first time, I did create a calibration table for the direct read float gauge on the tank. The float gauge is virtually the same as the factor original, so I believe these numbers are valid for any 53 gallon tank located under the cabin floor for CD36's. I'm not sure what year/hull number the factory began locating the tank under the cabin sole rather than in one of the stern lockers.

Here are the remaining gallons of fuel for the gauge reading:

1/8 - 3.3 gallons
1/4 - 7.0
3/8 - 11.3
1/2 - 16.3
5/8 - 23.3
3/4 - 30.0
7/8 - 37.1
1 - 45.0
1-1/8 - 50

Since the tank is tapered in both the fore/aft and athwart ship directions, you would expect the gauge to not be linear - as my calibration measures confirmed. Note that when the gauge reads 1/2 tank, you actually have less than 1/3 of total volume.

Anyway, I have lots of drawings/pictures of the project that I can send via email if anyone is interested and in need to replacing their tank
Doug Gibson
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Doug
That’s great info and a valuable resource to CD 36 owners.