Chesapeake to Scituate

Cruising on your Cape Dory? Let us know your whereabouts and post cruise updates here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

gates_cliff

Chesapeake to Scituate

Post by gates_cliff »

My daughter-in-law is from Scituate. She, my son, and grandson were over today for July4. While here she face timed her Mom who was boating with friends up there in Scituate. Afterwards we were talking and my daughter-in-law suggested I take my boat up there next year for the 4th.

Sounds like a great idea! So, as I started thinking about it, thought it might be a good idea to get suggestions/input from the vast experience on this board as to route, etc. In all likelihood I'd be single handing.

Any information would be appreciated.
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
kerrydeare

Re: Chesapeake to Scituate

Post by kerrydeare »

gates_cliff wrote:My daughter-in-law is from Scituate ... and ... suggested I take my boat up there next year for the 4th ... suggestions/input [?] ...
In general a coastal trip like this is more complicated than a comparable offshore jaunt. Traffic, canals, bridges, inlets, and of course rocks keep demanding your attention. Sailors are best advised to get far away from land quickly and do so as far as seems reasonable for a given destination. You won't have many opportunities to do this but you will have one or two.

In the present instance you can make Chesapeake City in a single day with tide, and stop next at Cape May. Depending on your preferences you can do what amounts to a double overnight to Block Island, plan next for Cuttyhunk or Onset, and make Scituate the next day. This is six (6) days underway with no interruptions, but of course that never actually happens. I have run this route a few times, and I would say that with lay days, provisions, and the appropriate amount of rest, you could figure ten plus (10+) days elapsed. Two weeks is not out of the question. Probably more on the return as you may choose LIS instead of offshore from Block. Then there's that old SW wind thingie in the summer.

Gear wise you need some sort of steering and you will probably find that is the key to a successful passage. The usual charting electronics including AIS are also a very good idea. I use separate boxes for all this stuff, but these days there are many options. Of course this doesn't translate to leaving the paper charts and standard compass at home.

Whatever happens don't fall off. There is never a good reason to go forward without a harness.
gates_cliff

Re: Chesapeake to Scituate

Post by gates_cliff »

Thanks, you added some important information, especially as to time required. I'm retired so don't have to meet a schedule, so I'd allow 2 weeks each way. Agree that getting offshore is wise, but coming back LI Sound makes sense, what with the Unfavorable wind. On another forum, someone posted that one would be motoring a good bit, even under sail.

I'm thinking I'd need a crew because I certainly can't single hand for 36-48 hours!

I'd definitely have to add an autopilot, and add some electronics. I'm old school enough to always have paper charts.

As to wearing a harness and clipping on, I always do when offshore, whether single hand or with a crew.

Thanks again for your valuable input.
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide