outboard

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

TE QUIERO

outboard

Post by TE QUIERO »

I launched my typhoon
the previous owner did not take care of this boat...sold me his 2 hp honda short shaft that cannot be used
I have a 4 hp long shaft but it weighs 60 pounds...the bracket can take it but worried that this is too much for the transom
I sail where there are currents
what do you use
also need to know facts...not opinions about what the typhoon can manage on the transom as I intend to leave the motor on
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: outboard

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

My 1977 Typhoon Weekender came with a 2006 Suzuki 6 hp 4 stroke LS. I believe it weighed 55-58 lbs. It was on the bracket on the stern 24/7/365. Most days in my sailing area it was more than what was needed. There were a few days (adverse current, adverse winds) when it was barely enough.

Congratulations on launch :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

The weight of the outboard isn't a problem. Outboard weight is an inconsequential load compared to the force applied to the boat by the propeller acting through the long lever arm of the drive leg to the outboard bracket. Your 4HP's propeller produces several hundred pounds of thrust. If the structure of the boat can withstand that, it can surely withstand 60 pounds of dead weight.

I have a 61-pound 6HP long-shaft Tohatsu on my Typhoon, and though I find that it is harder to get the outboard on and off the boat than our old 37-pound 4HP Evinrude, in every other respect I am happy to have made the change. It is nice to have the extra horsepower on the rare occasions I need it.

If you are physically able to handle getting the heavier outboard on and off the boat, you should go for it.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

You should also consider what a heavy engine does to the trim of the boat. Extra weight in in the ends is never a good thing. The 2HP long shaft Honda is a perfect engine for a Typhoon, Steve.
TE QUIERO

Post by TE QUIERO »

I agree about the effect on boat trim

I would need to leave engine mounted as 60 pounds on and off would be a challenge
I like the power of the 4 as we have a lot of current with the tide changes here
may need to look for a lighter engine
I rarely used my outboard with my Express 27 but she is an ultralight racing boat and I will be solo more on the typhoon
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

On our old typhoon, an '80's vintage Evinrude 5hp Sailmaster (long shaft) came with it, which worked well after I tuned it up. I left it on board all season tilted up. That bronze bracket is the real deal and I never had an issue with it. On Lake Superior though I did tie the whole shebang down to the stern cleat in case it decided to come adrift.

My $.02: If you are looking for a new motor, I would compare the lightest 5-7hp motors you can find if you have currents to deal with. Otherwise, you could likely get away with a nice Suzuki DF2.5 which is a 40lb four stroke. The Honda 2.5 is durable and light also, but it is air cooled and rather loud.
Paul
CDSOA Member