CD25D reconnect

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

CaptPepa

CD25D reconnect

Post by CaptPepa »

The boat has been successfully launched but has not traveled on its own. I cannot get power to the panel. Batteries A and B have pos and neg cables attached and a neg/neg bridge between. There are red and black cables in the engine compartment. Don't know where these attach. I feel like there is a ground connection somewhere not hookd up, hence no "dash lights". Anyone have a wiring diagram? The rudimentary one in the CD book isn't very helpful. Thanks.
Bill
Steve Laume

Re: CD25D reconnect

Post by Steve Laume »

A multi meter or at least a 12 volt test light are your best bet in finding this problem.

While you are concentrating on the engine panel, you have not mentioned whether there is power to anything else. If you have no power coming into the main panel then I would first check the negative connection, which usually goes to the engine block. Take it off and clean things up, then put it back on.

The chances are good that every thing is connected correctly and that there is corrosion somewhere that is preventing the current from flowing. A wiring diagram is not really going to do much, other than tell you where the wires go. What you are looking for is a connection that is not making good contact. Since you have just attached the battery terminals, it then comes down to the ground, alt, starter, and panel connections. There are also two trailer type connectors in the wiring harness that go to the panel. One is close to the engine and the other is near the panel end. They could be wrapped in tape and should be pulled apart and sprayed with contact cleaner if this is a panel only problem. You can find all of these things just by following the wire runs.

The reason for having a meter or test light is that you can look to see which of these wires is not transmitting power. this will let you concentrate on a specific wire run, Steve.
CaptPepa

Re: CD25D reconnect

Post by CaptPepa »

Thanks, Steve. I'll let you know how I fare. Bill.